Radiating Vagina along with Rectum

• 2 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hello,

I got a more definitive diagnosis after my surgery to biopsy my tumor which I have nicknamed PITA (for Pain In The Ass/Arse)

I have Anal Cancer, but rather than squamous cell carcinoma, it's adenocarcinoma in the anus.

The radiology doctor conducted an exam and said that due to the size and spread of the tumor (it's a T4, N1) she would probably also treat the vagina.

This leaves me to wonder if I'm ever going to be able to have sex again? I don't currently have a partner and am not actively looking, but might like to find one again.

Has anyone here ever had their vagina radiated? Does it heal up and work normally after?

• Hi there, No, I haven't had my vagina radiated....but(t) just by having my rectum radiated due to anal cancer, my vagina now has steonsis which is narrowing and thinning of the vagina. This happens to many (probably most) anal cancer patients. What is generally recommended is purchasing a set of vaginal dialtors (after treatment is completed and you're healed a bit) for stretching of the walls so intercourse and pap smears are possible. I imagine having the vagina radiated specifically as you will be having may be a longer healing time...but I don't see where it won't be possible to have sex again in the future...I hope things go well for you. Best, Lynn  

• Thanks. 

I had a total hysterectomy about 8 1/2 months ago and no longer have my cervix so yay, no pap smears. I did experience dryness and thinning of the vagina walls so was prescribed estrogen tablets that I insert twice a week.