Travel insurance and temporary herceptin-related heart failure

• 2 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Can anyone please advise me with regard to my pre-existing conditions for travel insurance?

In 2016-17 I underwent a course of Herceptin for breast cancer. Unfortunately I had a drop in my left ventricular ejection fraction ('heart failure'), necessitating breaks in the Herceptin treatment. Once I stopped the Herceptin in April 2017 my heart function fully returned to normal.

My question is how I should declare this when applying for travel insurance? To all intents and purposes, this was a transient treatment-related impairment of my heart function which fully recovered once I stopped the Herceptin. However travel insurers ask me to declare any 'heart conditions' ever, and as soon as I mention heart failure I end up going down a pathway of supplementary questions that seem much more applicable to someone with permanent heart damage rather than a temporary impairment. Moreover, adding 'heart failure' to my policy literally triples the insurance premium quoted, which feels a bit unfair for a condition that's gone away.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel uncomfortable about not including it in my list of conditions, but the insurers don't seem to have the flexibility to take into account its temporary nature.

Thank you.

• Hi  and I see it's your first post on the community so welcome.

I have been on my cancer journey for over 22 years now so have had various challenges with travel insurance. I have recently been put on heart meds so if and when I do look for travel insurance in the future I will declare everything...... that is why it's best to phone companies where possible as it's their responsibility to ask the correct questions.

The main reason I will declare everything?....... I have talked to a good number of people who did not declare and they were left without insurance when abroad as the policy was deemed invalid at the point of needing treatment or repatriation when abroad.

Do have a look through this ongoing thread Recommended Travel Insurance - all the best with your search.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• As Thehiglander says, probably best to 'phone prospective insurers so they can take an informed view of the temporary nature of your problem rather than leaving it to a dumb computer programme. Whatever you do though don't be tempted to not declare.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.