Reply to cruise travel insurance

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

We love cruising but travel insurance can sometimes cost as much or more than the cruise!  No 1 - when you hit 60, the premiums go up, then 65, 70, 75 etc + pre-existing medical conditions are loaded.  Impossible to be quoted for annual & lucky for a quote for a holiday/cruise.  Having had cancer the companies like you to be clear for at least a few years.  We were lucky way back in 2014 being quoted £600 for a month's cruise, I only had breast cancer twice then & had been clear for 7 years.  Following the cruise I had bowel cancer then later in 2016 breast cancer again, + in 2017 lung cancer - so we have not been away, as either no quote or astronomical prices.  Added to this my husband has just had vocal chord cancer & treatment, so I think our days of holidays/cruises are out of the question - so sorry but us cancer patients have to accept that we are unable to travel to other countries.  There are many places to visit in Britain, so make the most of visiting places you haven't been to before, lovely countryside, coast, country houses & gardens, cruises on rivers & canals.

• Hi

I'm sorry to read that you haven't recently been able to obtain affordable travel insurance and I agree that there are lovely places to visit in the UK.

However I don't agree that "us cancer patients have to accept that we are unable to travel to other countries" as I have continued to holiday abroad, as have lots of members of this group, and I wouldn't want people new to cancer to think that their overseas holidays are necessarily a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis but if you look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread you'll find lots of recommendations from other members who have been successful.

It has been recommended in the past to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I hope you continue to enjoy your holidays whether they're in this country or abroad

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"