Can't Find Travel Insurance

• 29 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi 

I wonder if anyone can help!  I have always used Insurancewith for my travel insurance, but I have just been trying to buy a weeks cover for Spain in August and they aren't selling new policies at the moment. 

I went through the signposting service on the Money & Pension Advice Service, as recommended to help me find travel insurance and everyone turned me down for a quote other than All Clear, but they wanted over £400 for a weeks cover and then tried to pressure me into buying it saying it was a today only price and the price could go up if I called back tomorrow.  I felt so upset and pressured, Insurancewith quoted me under £100 for the same over at the beginning of the month, I wish I had taken that out then, but we hadn't had our holiday confirmed until this week, not it looks like I can't afford to go now, with the cost of the insurance and PCR tests etc.  I have metastatic cancer, but my tumors are stable, why is it so difficult to get a reasonable quote?  I hope Insurancewith start to sell policies again soon, or it looks like I won't be getting away anytime soon.

Any advice greatfully received

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have had a cancer diagnosis but hopefully you'll be able to find some after looking at recommendations from other members of this group.

I don't know if you've had chance to look through the 'recommended travel insurance' thread yet, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. If not, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It is best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Make sure that you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your doctor saying that you are well enough to travel. This could come from your cancer team or GP.

I hope this helps and let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks for your response, but I have followed others suggestions on the thread you suggest,  but no one is quoting, I’ve spend a couple of upsetting hours on the phone calling all the suggestions and as they turn me down the refer me to the Money & Pension Advice Service or British Insurance Brokers Association, who only seem to want to refer you to All Clear. I think this may have beaten me! 

• Oh I'm sorry to hear that  Disappointed Do you know if they're not quoting at all or just not able to give you a quote for your circumstances?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi, 

Insurancewith have a note on their website saying the can’t sell new policies at the moment, so they are not offering quotes at all at the moment,  but customers with policies already are ok they say. 

Tess x

• Is that the same with the other ones you tried? The only reason I'm asking is in case others come here asking about travel insurance.

Community Champion Badge

• Hi I got a good Annual Policy from Holidaysafe in June but when I checked recently for a friend, they too have temporarily suspended new quotes due to the rise in Covid infections. Hope you find one still offering cover.

• No the other ones I’ve tried are selling insurance, they just won’t offer me cover, I’m too high a risk!!! I still work full time and exercise 3 times a week, but too big a risk for travel insurers it would seem! I’m still so angry about the situation. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tess27,

I really feel your pain as am so close to tears right now in my 1st steps adjusting to IV NSC lung cancer and also needing to find cover for insurance.

I spoke to free spirit this morning and they weren't able to provide cover as they are overhauling their policies at the moment. 

But did get a quote from All Clear for 60+ days cover but it was definitely an eye watering amount between 1800 to 2300 which just isn't feasible on my budget.

Am interested to pursue the difference between terminal and incurable as I have referred myself in the quote under a terminal prognosis in my understanding.  So deflated and will try again tomorrow... 

• Yes, it’s a nightmare. I’ve used insurewith and Freespirit before but they’re not quoting, and Boots isn’t offering policies either. Am bracing myself to call Allclear.

• Hi 

The question of whether you are classed as incurable or terminal for travel insurance comes up quite often. 

It's probably best to ask when you ring for a quote what the insurance company classes as terminal as different travel insurance companies have different ideas as to what they class as terminal. This reply by  to a previous post in this group is possibly relevant to your circumstances. She points out that "some companies class 6 months as terminal and others 12 months but if you do not have a prognosis you are classed as incurable not terminal."

Mitzie10 posted here in a reply to another poster "If your husband is still receiving treatment, then he is not terminal. I am treatable but not curable but most certainly not terminal."

All the best with your search and if you do find an insurer that's not already been recommended in the recommended travel insurance thread then please do add them.

x

Community Champion Badge