SCT Success Stories

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 157 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with classical HL in October 2016.  Had 2 cycles of ABVD and got a clear scan.  Had 4 further cycles of AVD - clear scan.  Less than a year later, 7cm 'mass' in my chest.  Lit up like a Christmas tree, as did a lymph node in my neck.  Had a large biopsy (around 3cm) of the mass in my chest and it came back negative for lymphoma (thank God right?!) but left us in limbo.  Further scan, lymph node in neck still lit up so this week i'll have that biopsied followed by another PET scan next week.  My dr says if I have relapsed, it with be GDP chemo for me plus SCT.

I guess I'm after success stories?  There might already be a success story link if someone can point me in that direction?  Has anyone had GDP?  What was it like?  I head your hair may not fall out.... is this true?  Is there anyone out there a few years down the line and living the life of their dreams.  

I've been handling this really well and taken advantage of this 'limbo' stage that we've been in for the last three months.... but now it is coming to an end with this new biopsy and scan... I'm getting really scared and starting to lose hope.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Shelley

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Orson

I've just had the last bits of frizz cut off. It took 15 months to grow out. I wear my hair fairly short anyway. Think its gone more silver but it suits my blue eyes. Its thinner than it was, less wavy overall, and much drier. Also I don't know if my skin colour has changed a bit but I no longer like pink against my skin. I've been wearing all my blue t-shirts and foregoing the pink ones.

Tessa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Shelley

ive not posted on here before. Your story sounds very similar to my son’s. He has just started GDP and it will be the end of his first cycle  tomorrow. It is planned that he will have SCT following this. 

I just wanted to ask as you are a bit ahead of my son how you found the GDP and if you have started you stem cell therapy and how it is going for you. 

Thanks so much 

heather 

• Hi Heather and welcome to our corner of the Online Community but always sorry to see folks finding us.

Its great that you have found someone on the same GDP treatment and I am sure that Shelley will get back to you with her progress so far.

Could I recommend that you consider starting your very own thread as this will help keep your support in one place and this can be done by hitting the 'Start a Discussion' tab near the top.

It would be really useful if you could put something into your profile as this does help others when replying to you or for those looking for support and information as they can read a bit about your cancer journey so far.

Just click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile' under the 'Profile Settings'. If you're not sure what sort of thing to put just click on my username, Thehighlander to read my profile but my one is a touch like War and Peace ;)

Always around to help out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I had very curly hair, when it grew back through, but it's calming down again now.  I've had about 3 haircuts since my hair grew back.  I always keep mine in a short pixie style anyway, because I'm a dinky person and it suits me, but a short style is definitely the way to tame the curlies! :) 

• Bump for everyone looking into the Stem Cell Transplant tunnel.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thread bump for those looking into Stem Cell Transplants Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Nearly two years ago I was admitted as an emergency with AML with 95% blasts, sepsis and 3 DVT s in my leg. 

Consultant would not give me a prognosis except to say that I was very sick. 

I told consultant that I had no intention of dying because I wasn't going to miss series 5 of Line of Duty. 

Well,  the new series starts this evening. :D 

• Oh Sheri, I just love your last comment Heart eyes

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

In autumn 2016 I planted up lots of pots of tulips, and was so disappointed that I missed the display next spring as I was in hospital. When trying to decide whether to go down the SCT route, I thought at least I will be able to see my tulips in 2018. It was a good display despite being year old bulbs. That autumn I planted more new bulbs. Just coming into flower now.

Tessa

• Great Tessa, start with the end in mind Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge