SCT Success Stories

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 157 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with classical HL in October 2016.  Had 2 cycles of ABVD and got a clear scan.  Had 4 further cycles of AVD - clear scan.  Less than a year later, 7cm 'mass' in my chest.  Lit up like a Christmas tree, as did a lymph node in my neck.  Had a large biopsy (around 3cm) of the mass in my chest and it came back negative for lymphoma (thank God right?!) but left us in limbo.  Further scan, lymph node in neck still lit up so this week i'll have that biopsied followed by another PET scan next week.  My dr says if I have relapsed, it with be GDP chemo for me plus SCT.

I guess I'm after success stories?  There might already be a success story link if someone can point me in that direction?  Has anyone had GDP?  What was it like?  I head your hair may not fall out.... is this true?  Is there anyone out there a few years down the line and living the life of their dreams.  

I've been handling this really well and taken advantage of this 'limbo' stage that we've been in for the last three months.... but now it is coming to an end with this new biopsy and scan... I'm getting really scared and starting to lose hope.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Shelley

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Any further news Beccdar?

• Hi Bellabing , I went in for my SCT on the 24/08/2017 so I'm 12 months on, I have caught my very first cold since then, I did have shingles in Jan but I've been ok since , just been waiting for all side effects to subside but I'm good now apart from this cold, I don't feel ill just chesty and a runny nose . But I arrived last night in Greece so having some warm weather at last .Sue 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Orson

Hi Orson

sorry to hear you’re caught a cold, I hope the warm weather and rest helps you recover quicker ... have a wonderful holiday...

It does seem the 12 month mark is when a lot of people really seem to start to feel like themselves again. A year seems so long but in the big scheme of things it’s nothing i suppose Blush

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Orson

Shingles is no joke! I like how you are all "oh yeah, shingles..." That's how you know sct is a bfd.

• Alissa, you are so spot on about Shingles and I have been so thankful to keep clear. A few of my SCT friends have had a very bad time with the Shingles but eventually have come out the other side and that is why my team insist I have a permanent stock of Acyclovir.......... as we say in the Highlands 'that's no a road y want ta gang doon'. Xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• My cold is doing ok the immune system seems to be working, I've shopped for two days now I'm off golfing now the Suns heat is cooling down then a cool swim after , hubby now has the cold I'm not selfish .

• Hi

High risk ALL diagnosed Sept 12.. chemo etc etc.. Allogenic SCT May 2013..

5 years plus and all is well.. Work hard, play hard and enjoy life! 

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Paul1969

Fab! Thanks for sharing. 

• Hi all,

For me the Life After a SCT information provided by the hospital has been non existent and that I’ve found the only disappointing part. I met up with one of the fellas on my ward last week for a curry and a catch up and he felt the same. It’s only through speaking to each other that we worked out we were both aching and sore in similar places so it’s probably nothing to worry about. I found coming home after my SCT to be the hardest especially mentally as people just assume you’re back to normal again with little understanding of what you’ve just been through both mentally and physically. At least whilst in the hospital you can swap stories with people going through the same or just chat with a nurse or consultant but once home you’re not sure what you’re supposed to do when suffering or having the night sweats again, who you should phone or see for what and when but most importantly when should you just get yourself back in quick.

Regards

Mark

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to markyflem

I was given a thick booklet from Bloodwise and a special leaflet  with lots of phone numbers but it was very much on the early acute stage. 15 months on I am still worrying what to do about sore throats and fluctuating temperatures.

I was in isolation in hospital so I so never met fellow patients. Tried to chat to some in outpatients but didn't get far.

Yes people seem to want you to hurry up and be normal again. No matter how often I explain things they only seem to hear what they want. A friend with lymphoma says the sick remind well people of their own mortality and they find that too scary to cope with. In many ways we are the stronger mentally for having faced it.

It's a shame the late recoverers leave the site as I think there must be much useful experience to be shared. 

Tessa