introduction

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi I’m Emily, most people call me Emma.

I’m 18 and four years ago I was diagnosed with lung cancer. I had treatment which was absolutely awful, the side effects at times made me feel worse and losing nearly all my hair was depressing and so upsetting. But all the way through I tried and still do try to be strong and always keep my happy and bubbly self on service. Determined to not let cancer win. I was declared cancer free in 2018. But then in 2019 it came back and had spread to my lymph nodes and adrenal glands. Except for going through treatment and feeling exhausted I have tried to continue on as normal as much as I can. I have done all the things I can, I’ve travelled a bit, accepted how I look now with my short hairstyle and I’ve been to a lot of cancer groups and helped support others and spread awareness. I’ve made a few new friends as well, one who is called Danielle who was on my cancer ward with me. We are both fans of Disney and I bought her an Elsa plush doll and she got me an Olaf plush doll which is sat beside me now. Sadly this March my scans and tests showed that the cancer has spread again :( this time to the liver. Treatment is being injected directly into me and that is very, very painful. I’m still remaining strong and positive even though the prognosis seems bleak now. But there’s always hope – hope is also my middle name – and I won’t give up ever.

I decided to create an account here as I know I can talk openly here and just get everything off my chest. My team at the hospital have been amazing and my family have been my rock, supporting me through everything, even the worse effects of the treatment. I’d be lost without them. But even so I feel like I’m a burden to them and feel sometimes it must be so unfair on them, especially my mum. Its hard having this awful disease but seeing it happen to me must be terrible for them all. I’ve been trying my best to not show signs of weakness in front of them but since being told that it spread again I feel so much weaker now and the treatment is really overwhelming me. I really hope I am strong enough to fight through this. Doctors think 3 months is it, and one of them is already gone, but I’m determined to make it through because I really have so much to live for and still do and I want to achieve all of it.

Sorry for the long post, I’ll finish here.

Nice to meet you! :)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Emma welcome to a nice place with very helpful people that like me don't want to be here, but you can find a lot of good info that most of it Doctor's never tell you, I don't know what to add but it is so great you are so determined to, pop along to the Lung group.

Ray

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Ray, thank you so much. It's nice to meet you. I hope you are well. Thank you for the suggestion, I will have a look now.

Emma.

• Hi Emma  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about the journey you have been having - pants isn't it, but I am pleased to say that you have found a safe place to find some support.

A cancer diagnosis indeed brings a lot of confusion, stress and many questions but I found talking with other people who are on the same type of journey helped a lot. 

The Community has many dedicated support groups so can I direct you to our supportive Lung Cancer  and Lymph nodes, secondary cancer groups.

Follow the links I've created above, join the groups, then hit ‘start a discussion’ and you are ready to go.

You could then copy and paste the information from this first post into your new discussion or you can just join in with existing ‘Discussions’ by clicking on 'reply'.

It’s always good to talk, so can I highlight the Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00 This service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 and also our Diagnosed at a young age support group.

You may also find the Teenage Cancer Trust a good place to check out.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

All the very best and some Highlander ((hugs)) 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Mike, thank you so much for your welcome and for explaining so much. It's so kind of you. I have joined the lung cancer group and I'll join the other ones now =) 

Yeah it is pants, that's for sure, but like you said talking to people going through and who have been through it does help a lot. I've met some really inspiring and lovely people along my journey so far and I'm so glad to have met them all.

Thanks for everything, I really appreciate it=) And thanks for the Highlander hugs! See you around the site!

Best wishes and hugs,

Emma.