Pancreatic cancer lost appetite

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hello community. My Dad has advanced pancreatic cancer. His condition fluctuates a lot and I’m often not sure what the best thing to do is. The main worry at the moment is his lost appetite. He takes in no more than 300 calories a day for a couple of weeks now. Does anyone have tips for getting nutrition into him and for controlling nausea other than cyclizine and ondansetron? I’m not sure at what point I should take him to hospital if this continues. He doesn’t have a nurse assigned to him yet and this is my first contact with Macmillan. Many thanks.

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that your dad has advanced pancreatic cancer and that he has lost his appetite. Loss of appetite is quite common for people with cancer and you might like to take a look at this information from Macmillan on eating problems.

The community is divided up into different cancer specific groups where you can ask questions, share experiences and get support. With this in mind could I suggest you take a look at joining the pancreatic cancer and family and friends groups.

To join either or both of these groups just click on the links I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the pages that open. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your dad's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi, Many thanks for your very quick reply. I will follow your advice. Regards