Phyllodes tumour and covid-19 delays

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 58 subscribers

Hi All,

Unfortunately, on the 17th March, I found out from my biopsy results that I had a phyllodes tumour growing in my left breast. They can't confirm for sure that it's benign or malignant until they have the whole sample and I was planned to have surgery to remove it on the 2nd April. With the situation with covid-19, all surgeries are cancelled and it's unclear when they will resume.

I'm holding onto hope that my consultant has said there is nothing to indicate it is malignant. I'm just incredibly worried about the wait now - it's awful. And I'm worried it will continue to grow and I'll need more breast tissue removed and possibly a mastectomy - just because of the covid-19 wait. I know with with cancer that waiting can be deadly.

Does anyone have experience with phyllodes tumours? Is anyone else waiting on surgery due to covid-19?

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you've recently been diagnosed with a phyllodes tumour and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that it is benign.

We all understand how hard waiting for tests and results is and I'm sure you'll get a lot of support if you join the breast cancer group. I have noticed that a couple of months ago someone else in that group posted about having a phyllodes tumour.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"