Newly diagnosed oesophageal cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 59 subscribers

My lovely husband has just been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer and undergoing various tests at present. He has never been ill before, apart from broken bones due to his sports. This is such a shock and we are still trying to come to terms with it. My biggest concern is his weight. Everyday he seems to be getting thinner. I have taken advice from the dietician and my own knowledge as an ex nurse.

I just feel I would like to be part of a community that know what we are all going through at this difficult time. Looking forward to being active hearing from people in the same position.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress, confusion and many questions on all the family but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot.

Can I direct you to this link to our very supportive Gullet (oesophagus) cancerrain tumour group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

As I was the person with the cancer my experience of supporting someone is very limited, although my wife has been amazing over my 20 years so you may also find our Carers Only and Friends and Family groups to be good places where you can connect with others supporting family through their cancer journey but more importantly the carers care for each other.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the very best and some ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge