Depression and Imatinib

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi my mum was diagnosed less than 1 month ago and suffers from chronic depression and anxiety for which she takes meds. She feels that the anti depressants aren’t working as she is very low and suffering from insomnia since starting her treatment. The CNS wasn’t able to advise her and suggested she speak to her consultant. Has anyone else had similar side effects? Thanks 

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your mum. 

A cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress, confusion and many questions on all the family but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot.

As your mum is having Imatinib is she being treated for CML as we do have a very supportive Chronic myeloid leukaemia group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the link I have created then hit the ‘Join This Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and ask your questions.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Mike I’m so touched by your immediate reply, it means so much. I’m waiting to hear back from the consultant psychiatrist but I find that often personal experience is so helpful-medicine can at times be too clinical. I took my mum to the counsellor who was fabulous! Talking about the diagnosis helped a lot and made mum feel less alone. I love your mantra-as a South African it resonates. I read your story-wow! You are an inspiration to us all. I’ll start a thread as you suggest. I wish you well on your journey and thank you so much for your support. Gill 

• Hi again Gill, I see you have put up a post in the group so let’s look for someone with some experience to come along.

I have no first hand experience in this area but I have to say that some blood cancer treatments can play with the mind so this can well be an accumulation of drugs but it is about getting professional advise as we only have our journeys to look back on.

Our experts may be able to help as well.

Do check to see if you a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

I will give you a HI on the other group ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge