Infection..

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 11 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi y'all joined macmillan in december but this is my first post! Really sorry for the length of it, if you read it all I am grateful...

Had my 3rd dose of chemo yesterday, my bloods have all came back clear no infection markers and all looked good... fast forward 24hrs I had to take my 17yr old to the dr this morning, he has had a bad rash since before christmas, (if you have a teenager son, its pandemic to get them to do anything if it dosnt involve gaming)  he has scratch that much his skin is head to toe covered in lines of scabs, over scabs and has drew blood! Now to my complete shock he has been diagnosed with scabies and it turns out the rash I was told was chemo rash is infact scabies aswell!! My dr has given me all the creams to do the whole house, my question is do I still inform my team of what's going on? 

Thank you for reading to the end 

• Hi Lcmc

I know from experience that scabies is miserably itchy but it is very treatable so it is probably better than a chemo rash. But it is very infectious. So, definitely tell the team and anyone you have been in contact with as they will need treating and the earlier that starts the better. The team also need to know as  if you scratch to the point of bleeding like your son then you will risk picking up bugs on your skin and they will want to get you treated for that too.

Best wishes

Sue

Sue
  • Hi and a welcome to the community. You definitely need to let your team know, as with any other unusual effects you may get. They will know what to do. As you probably know, scabies is highly contagious, so you need to check all the family. It may be wise to phone the department before you go in for advice, as it may be possible for you to pass it on to other patients. I developed scabies many years ago when working demolition on a slum clearance program. Not sure if it was in the dirt, or I caught it off someone else, but the cream sorted it within a day or so. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hi , totally agree with the others you do need to call this into your team as the treatment you are on will make your immune system open to infection even although your counts are ok.

You have joined our very supportive Hodgkin lymphoma group so if you need further help it is a good place to post as the folks do understand the journey you are on.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Sue456

Thank you for reply sue, yeah I rung my team there and left a message!! Hopefully all will be ok 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to rily

Thank you for the reply riley, I have contacted my team left a message with them! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Oooh, the highlander I have seen quite a few replies on other people post from you, your very good at giving advice! I have actually found out more information on this page the last few weeks!  Thank you for the reply, my team has been rang and I left a message

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to rily

Thank you for the reply rily I have contacted my team and left a message!.. yes it's kinda working it's way through the family, including my brother and mum now! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Sorry about the double message, I am still trying to navigate the system lol

• If you ever want to edit or delete then go down to MORE and follow the Edit or Delete tabs......you are doing great.

You would actually benefit from going over to our very supportive Hodgkin lymphoma group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the link I have created then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and ask your questions.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

That is actually the first group I joined, I have been reading all the posts on there! 

It's just when I wanted to start a discussion I couldnt find the start discussion option, so went into google and this is were i was directed!!