How to cope

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

Hi, my name is Cathy and this is a new post, I lost my younger brother to brain cancer and now my partner has prostate cancer which has spread to his bones, I get the feeling that sometimes he thinks it's someone else. He was recently in hospital for the 2nd time with an other infection. I am trying my best to help and support him but finding it tiring and sad. Any suggestions as to how I can keep going, feel lost and alone xx

• Hi Cathy  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother and now your partner is fighting cancer.

As you have experienced, a cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress, confusion and questions on all the family but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot. 

Can I direct you to these links to our Prostate cancer and Bone, secondary cancerJust follow the links, then hitting the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group names, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this post. 

As I was the person with the cancer my experience of supporting someone is very limited, although my wife has been amazing over my 20 years. You may also find our Careers Only group a good place where you can connect with others support family through their cancer journey but more importantly the carers care for each other.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge