New to the Community

If you've just joined the Community and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction.

Just diagnosed with neutropenia with treatment for leaukaemia starting in 3days

Mizzfitzz
Posted by

I am 56. I am shocked to the core. Panic comes over in waves. Im trying to push it away, so it only lasts a few minutes. I have 4 daughters, who are being very supportive. I have been told that when i go in hospital in 3 days i am going to be in 1 month then out for a week. This will happen 3 or 4 times, the last time will be stem cell transplant. Actually woke up crying this morning. Im normally strong, like a rock, but when panic hits i feel myself fold. I guess this is normal in the begining?

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

Feeling shocked and panicking is a perfectly normal response to being told that you have cancer. Although mine wasn't leukaemia, I remember only too well how I felt when I was told.

Can I suggest that you join the leukaemia group as you'll then be able to ask questions and get support from others who will know exactly how you feel. To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'Join This Group' on the page that opens. You can then respond to existing posts by clicking on 'Reply' or start your own by clicking on 'Start A Discussion'.

When you feel up to it could I ask that you spend a few minutes to complete your profile as it really helps others when answering you or looking for other people with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself . To do this just click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what sort of things to put you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I'm also tagging my fellow Community Champion  into my reply to you as he looks after the leukaemia group and may be able to help you further.

Wishing you all the best for your treatment and sending a virtual ((hug))

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Paul1969
Posted by

Hi Mizzfitzz

Sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with Leukaemia and that you are about to start treatment. It is a real shock when you get diagnosed and I know that I kept thinking that they must have made a mistake.. of course they hadn't.

I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) back in 2012 and had a stem cell transplant (allogenic - from an unrelated donor) in May 2013.. I am doing fine and you can read about my journey here Paul1969 . What sort of leukaemia have you been diagnosed with?

It is doable and you can come out the other side and continue life as normal. Everyone's journey is different. There are quite a few members who have had a stem cell trtansplant and other who are going through the process now and in the next couple of weeks in the Stem Cell Transplant forum which you can access by clicking here Stem Cell Transplant Forum.

There you can ask questions and get a lot of support during and after your treatment.

Any questions please ask.. Good luck.

Paul

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

Mizzfitzz
Posted by

Thanks for the reply. Great news for you. I dont think i have been told the exact type yet. I am having a trial, starting on Tues. It will be 3 or 4 months then stem cell from donor. Early days for me. 

marty66
Posted by

Hi , wonderful to here back ,   What’s your real name ?     I’m a bit new in some ways to all this but may be in the future I may have to have stem cell !   Martin

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you may have to have stem cell treatment in the future. If you could tell me a little about the type of cancer that you have I could point you in the direction of a group to join where you can ask questions and get support from others.

Best wishes

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

marty66
Posted by

Hi , thanks for getting back ,  from a struggle with lymphatic cancer.  Two lots of chemo and radio for six years ‘ god only knows how I recovered .  Left me alone for 3 years. My gp picked up things from April ,  long story but under haematology having venesections , but sadly this jack 2 protein is active.    They feel it’s mf.     Terrible really from what I have been though in the past x

latchbrook
Posted by

I don't know much about lymphoma but there are several groups here including one for Hodgkin lymphoma and another for non-Hodgkin lymphoma. If either of these are relevant for you just click on the link I've created and then choose 'Join This Group' on the page that opens. You can then respond to existing posts by clicking on 'Reply' or start your own by choosing 'Start A Discussion'.

If neither of these is the type that you have then go to the 'Groups' tab at the top of the page and then under categories choose cancer types and look for the type that you have.

When you have a minute could I ask you to complete your profile as it really helps others when answering you or looking for other people with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself . To do this just click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what sort of things to put you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Best wishes