Sometimes it is worth complaining

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Some of you may have followed the thread in August last year when I had a Mastectomy and the Anesthetist totally disregarded all the issues regarding my allergies and sensitivities to medication. This resulted in a horrendous time and having to stay in hospital much longer than expected. 

The nursing staff on the ward were appalled and advised my husband to lodge a complaint. 

As you can imagine the initial response was the doctor says this and we believe him rather than you. However his lies did not tally with records and when he said he had detailed conversations with me he was actually elsewhere and I had proof of 3 cancelled appointments. 

My goal was not for any reprimand or compensation but I just simple did not want the experience repeated if ever I needed another operation. But I was also very annoyed by the lies the Doctor had wrote.

Today my husband and I met  with a hospital representative and the Consultant Anesthetist to discuss things. 

Re the Doctor they accepted things were not done as they should have been and they are going to speak to him. That was the best we could expect and hopefully he will alter his practices. 

With regards to the medication however this was extremely interesting and there are a number of none opiate and none alcohol mixed drugs that can be used which would make things so much easier if I ever need another operation but also if I need pain killing medication as the cancer progresses. 

He explained that there has been a general move away from iodine based drugs to alcohol based ones and this is probably why my reactions to drugs have intensified and at times become a danger to life. 

I am seeing an immunologist next month and hopefully a list of drugs I can tolerate can be drawn up. 

Just thought I would share my experience as it was nerve racking and I thought about just letting it go several times but I am glad I persevered. 

• Hi Maz

Yes, I remember it clearly, you had a bad reaction to the medication you were given.

How can that doctor tell lies like that, it's good that you have proof to bring to the table. I know you aren't after compensation or a reprimand, you're wanting to make sure, absolutely sure that it doesn't happen to you again. Taking the case to the authorities will hopefully ensure that no one else gets to be in a similar situation. For dears sake, that's the sort of thing that can result in a serious illness, possibly even death. If that happens to me, I'll make sure the doctor or whoever will NEVER do that again. Getting a patient's painkiller wrrong is an error that should never happen, we unfortunately hear about cases too often in the media.

Hope you are never, never in the same situation again Maz. Have a great weekend.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Thanks TV man. 

Yes it really makes me worry when people you have to trust, literally with your life, are willing to lie like this. No one is prefect and if he had just owned up it would have been more acceptable. It would appear he was also lying about other things in his response that did not go down well with the Consultant Anesthetist at the meeting. Let's hope things improve for me and others. 

Everyone knows the NHS is in trouble but things like this that could be easily avoided are so unnecessary. Total waste of time and resources. 

• Hi  You were right to lodge a complaint. How can we trust people who lie? The answer is, we can't! Then when they are found out they don't even have the decency to admit it and apologise! It's shocking! It is extremely nerve racking having to attend this type of meeting and something you really don't need ATM but it will be worth it in the end, I hope, when your care is improved!

I also made a formal complaint early on in my diagnosis and it really did make a difference! I know it shouldn't come to that but sometimes we have no other option! Well done to you and your husband!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!