Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only

This group is specifically for people with an incurable or terminal diagnosis. Whether you need to talk about dying, or about making the most of your life, you can discuss your feelings openly here.

A little bit of good news for me...

Gobaith
Posted by

Hi all, 

I'm nervous about sharing my good news as I know things are tough for so many at the moment, but I hope this encourages some and I wanted to tell people who would really understand the impact on me as this roller coaster cancer ride is hard work. 

At Christmas I was hospitalised with a nasty gastro bug and was told it was my immunotherapy treatment failing and I'd not be given more. This was a last attempt to find something as my cancer was growing rapidly out of control and I was referred for palliative hospice care. 

I had to have scans last week following my illness at Christmas to check what was going on. Well, my consultant rang yesterday to tell me that not only is the treatment working but it's extraordinary and has already managed to eradicate cancer that was in my pelvis, abdomen and lungs - all clear! My brain mets have gone from 5 lesions to 1 and my main peritoneal tumour has shrunk significantly. I have never been given any good news at appointments or scan reviews as everything has always grown on treatment to date. I'm shocked and delighted and nervous it's all a big sick joke but finally I have a little bit of hope that I have extra time to enjoy my children for potentially much longer than I was expecting! 

The brain is still a worry and the tumour is still there but I'm so glad there's a reduction in the rest - it feels like many Christmas's rolled into one. 

I was told I was not suitable for immunotherapy and had to seek second opinions for this treatment - so glad I did. 

Clare x

Lass
Posted by

That's fabulous news Clare! Long may it continue!

Lass

Xx

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

AP7
Posted by

Clare, that's wonderful news. I'm so happy for you.  

DW1012
Posted by

Dear Clare, 

That is fantastic news and I am so pleased for you. We are always happy to hear good news on here because it gives us all a bit of hope that there are treatments out there to help us. 

I have brain mets too which are thankfully so far responding to the PARP inhibitor I am on. I was refused Immunotherapy because of the brain mets so I am interested to know the name of yours and which hospital put you on it?

Your news has made my day. You are too young to have to be coping with this disease and with young children. My closest friend is the same age as you with a 1 year old and has just completed chemo. I was devastated for her when she told me.

A big congratulatory hug for you.

Jan 

Gaynor31
Posted by

Hi Clare

Its always fantastic to hear someone’s good news so please don’t feel bad at putting it on.  Many many congratulations to you.  Lots of love and hugs

Gaynor

Lynn2
Posted by

Hi Clare, thats fantastic news, the imunotherapy did the same to me and gave me colitis and an under active thyroid gland. They say it can can on working for some time even when you have stopped having it so long may it continue xxx

Lynn 2

Lynn 2. xx

Albondigas
Posted by

Hi Clare,

Don't be nervous about sharing good news, we are all in this together and good news for you is hope and support for us.

Believe what they have told you and celebrate! 

Albondigas x 

If I leave no trace behind in this fleeting world 
What then could you reproach? 
                                                       from   Genji Monogatari 
JayKay8
Posted by

Wonderful news Clare.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

JayKay8

chellesimo
Posted by

Great to hear such good news. As already been said it gives hope to others. Hope you are going to celebrate you deserve to. 

Chelle 

Button16
Posted by

That is wonderful news!! What a great way to start the year and long may it continue. 

I hope you are going go celebrate?!

X

Live laugh and love
Gobaith
Posted by

Thanks everyone - you're all very lovely. 

DW1202 - I live in Wales and am on Pembrolizumab. 3 weekly infusions - much easier to tolerate than chemo, just fatigue really. I'm resistant to chemo and they felt there was nothing else to offer. 

anndanv
Posted by

Hi Gobaith, I've not been online for a couple of days and have just read your AMAZING news. Always let us know the good news as well as the bad and it gives everyone Hope, that's the lift we all need. It just shows it's always worth getting a second opinion! Well done! 

Take Care Love Annette x

Caroline77
Posted by

Wow I am so happy for you Clare. I am new to all this.

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in June last year. I was heart broken and still am. I am only 41 years old with 5 kids! 

It had spread to my liver but I am on chemotherapy tablets on my 7th cycle and it seems to be shrinking the lesions in my liver. CT scan showed the tumour the same size no bigger but the scan before that showed it had shrunk a bit. 

Caroline x

Gragon
Posted by

Hi Clare,

So pleased to read your post and hear your news.  More of the same please.

love Gragon xx

tosyn
Posted by

Newyddion bendigedig, Clare.  Wonderful news.  I am also Welsh - from just outside St Davids. Are you anywhere near?

Its always good to hear such encouraging news.  My brother has just been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer and hopefully will have immunotherapy after he completes chemo and rads (he had his first chemo today) 

I myself was diagnosed with stage 4 endometrial cancer 4 years ago and  have been so lucky in having had a much better response to treatment than expected

May you continue to have good news.  

With very good wishes,

Ros  x