Worried/wondering

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 27 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi All, it’s 2.30am and I find myself awake and thoughtful.

I had latest CT scan 2nd March with view to discussing results with oncologist on 29th March but he bought appt. forward to 11th and isn’t 100% happy with Liver so sending me for MRI this Thurs.

I’m on Ibrance/Letrezole/Zometa for METS lymph nodes/Bones/Liver but those Zometa treatments have gone from every 4 to 5 weeks because bloods struggling to keep above 1 on neutrophils.

I guess I’m not totally surprised, every 3 month scan hope for best & prepare for worst especiallly if feeling more off/achey than usual, and I realise I don’t know what’s what till I get MRI scan results but I do feel anxious, I keep telling myself I’ve been blessed as I was diagnosed back end of 2014 and here I am 2021 but still despite fabulous hubby & family & good friends it’s hard to express how scared I am.....

• Hi Bartki, Sorry to hear there may be a slight delay with your scan. Now wouldn't it have been sensible for the person referring you for a scan to let them know in advance you had a port! Sometimes I wonder if the left hand knows what the right hand is doing!

The last time I got a scan, as usual, they send you a form to fill in and take with you for your appointment. Then usually when you get there, they ask you the same questions anyway. The last time no one asked for the questionnaire and no one asked any questions. So I asked if they wanted to know where in my body I had metal and if there was anything I was allergic to! She looked at me as if I had two heads and said "did no one take your form?" I told her I had it in my hand but no one asked for it and as no one asked the questions, I thought I'd better point out I had 3 different places with metal pins, screws etc and I had an allergy to micropore which they usually use to put in the canula! She turned on her heel and I heard her argue with the receptionist and the nurse who had shown me into the changing room! I could hear every word because they were all shouting, accusing one another for not doing their job! A full 15 minutes later, a different nurse came in and apologised for the delay as there was "A problem with the paperwork!"  Well, that was a 'porky' but I said nothing incase there was another arguement! 

Do they think we are all deaf and daft?? (Answers on a postcard....not!).                                                                                  Hopefully it won't take them too long to sort themselves out and you have a date soon!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi Annette and thanks, Scan all done yesterday in the end bless them, so relieved that is over and done with, your post really made me laugh, I was lucky yesterday, very nice Spanish Radiographer (is that what they are called- maybe not) anyway he was very patient and kind - last MRI I had the lady was screaming at me through the headpiece to stay still when I genuinely thought I hadn't moved a muscle - did make me chuckle when the chap re went through questions and asked ''any metal in your eye/other metal implants in your body?!'' - I said no I think I have enough going on hahahaha - anyway made us both chuckle - I genuinely don't know how much older people i.e. in the 70's ,i'm in my 50's ,cope with those scans arms above head lieing still etc. for such a long time and holding your breath for such a long time - I was sure I knew how to breath until I was lieing there and then it all became very alien I turned into a heavy breather hahaha - anyway I'll chill out for the weekend, enjoy the sunshine and try to avoid Scaniety until next week! ....

Take care you hope you are doing ok - you are certainly doing a good job in keeping my spirits up.

• I.m glad it's all done!!! And yes, i did ask myself a few times how long one can hold the breath lol...once it did not end good and i had a coughing fit..the lady said over mic...can you stay still please>>> no i try to breathe..omg ..well the scan from the abdo wasn't very clear that time.

• Hi Bartki, Well, I will answer your question about how "OLDER PEOPLE IN THEIR 70'S" cope with holding their breath etc! As an older person of 71, I actually cope quite well with scans and holding my breath etc as I have been doing Meditation for many years now, so find that part easy. The arms over the head with the canulà insertinģ contrast dye is harder because I have a pin, from shoulder to elbow. Sometimes it gets stuck, if I have been in the scanner for over an hour, which happens frequently, so I have to get the Radiographer (yes right word!) to bring it down for me!

By the way, when you are in your 70's you don't think you are old but think people in their 90's are old! Lol!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • I sometimes practice holding my breath before I have the scan and that helps.

I am lucky I have good veins and it doesn’t cause any problems.

I still hate MRIs and take a Valium before hand and some music with me 

Ruth 

• I sometimes practice holding my breath before I have the scan and that helps.

I am lucky I have good veins and it doesn’t cause any problems.

I still hate MRIs and take a Valium before hand and some music with me 

Ruth 

• SiT has said he thinks he can get me up holding my breath for 20 minutes. Such a decent chap.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

I tried to convince him that two HOURS would be better but he saw thru my plan... DRAT!!!

Don't worry Peeps - I'll find a way...

I'm cool with CT's but MRI's are a No-No due to outrageous claustrophobia - if the onc wants me to have one he knows that a strong sedative will need to be in play...

• I’m with you on the MRI front takes all my mental power to keep my eyes closed and go to my happy place whilst they do the MRI. had one that was just over an hour long and I felt exhausted for the rest of the day

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Pet1968

yes me too, OMG bless you, I can easily see how that could happen, too  funny really do these radiographers ever get to do what they ask us too ?!  Haha still done, we’ll see on 1st how I faired!!