Should I cut my hair short?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi all

i have had one lot of chemo and immunotherapy so far, on 2 December, next lot on 23 December.  Although I have been told I will lose my hair so far so good, but still early days.  My son, who is a hairdresser, had discussed it with his colleague who has experience of clients losing their hair on chemo, and they have suggested I go for a shorter haircut now so it won’t be such a shock when it starts coming out.  I’m not going to have a wig but the thought of just shaving it all off is a step too far.  I have incurable but treatable lung cancer with secondary in my liver.

What did others do?  My hair currently is a chin length bob and I actually love it, but In the grand scheme of things its a small price to pay for a chance of a bit more time with my lovely family

Maz

update:  just wanted to thank all those who took the time to respond.  On Thursday I had my hair cut and today in the shower quite a lot of hair came out while I was washing it. I was so glad I listened to your advice cos I kept a lock of hair which I could not have done once it started to come out.  I also got the head scarf recommended by Tiga but in more muted colours.  I didn’t think I would mind it coming out as I had prepared for it but I find that i do mind, but it is only hair at the end of the day.  I suddenly realised that my eyelashes and brows are probably going to come out too - eek

• Hi. I was struggling to add the link but I hope a screen shot will help. These wraps are only on amazon but opposite to cheap on ebay are made of viscoze and bamboo so perfect for sore scalp. Plus they have long outer fabric like silk which can be wrapped and styled on many ways. For example if wrapped once and hanged down then helped me not feel bolded. Very feminine.

So lovely to speak to someone as you were first people who responed to me on this site since awhile Heartbeat

Tiga. 
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Tiga

Hey, thanks Tiga x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Pet1968

Hmm, I don’t think I’ll be that lucky - I’m pretty certain I will lose mine ...

• Totaly agree.. Hair loss was traumatic for me and could not stand my look and hair everywhere so cap was a perfect solution for me. I asked family members if they want to treat me for birthday or just because to buy me different colours. I was changing caps from day to day sometimes. It was my weapon against bad days to see my face agains bright pink or like bright tropical colours Butterfly

Tiga. 
  • Indeed there is no certainty but I remeber my onco face when I came back on follow up after first treatment and still had my hair Joy

In my case she said they will start falling off after second infusion and she was right. In that scenario I preferred to have sth to cover my head. I had few rubish stuff first till I found the right thing which I posted before

Tiga.