After radiotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello I have stage 4 lung cancer I have just finished my first sessions of radiotherapy I was not told to prepare for this just to keep the area well moistured with e45 which I did when I left todday they gave me a leaflet that said I was meant to drink plenty of water or is that radiotherapy in a different area I have a dry cough stared tonight and I can’t sleep which I know . Is a side affet they told me too that the side affects would get worth which i concerned about as I see my oncologist yes day and he told me I was starting chemotherapy and immune therapy in a few weeks thank you for  listening Neutral face

• I know I was  very anxious when I had my 6 weeks of radiotherapy. It was 10 years ago now. I did hate it at the time and had to wear a mask as I have head and neck cancer. The thing that kept me going was the fact it would be over in 6 weeks and then I would feel better. The side effects did get worse during the treatment  They gave me drugs to help the symptoms I had and the skin healed well after and the hair grew back. They did have support meetings with me and plenty of information was given. The one good thing I clung to was that I was doing something to treat the cancer and stop it growing.

Ruth 

• Welcome Donc, it's lovely to meet you but I so wish it was elsewhere. I'd just like to know which one you are in the photo. 

We are all in the same position, incurable but treatable, and each of us has our own idea of how to carry on. I expect we are all wanting to carry on and enjoy life, that's what emanates from all of us. As you can see from Ruth's post, she has been diagnosed and is still here 10 years on. That's something I didn't know and she is so supportive to everyone, more often than not the first message you'll read after someone has posted a new post, and always positive. She's not the only one going to be here for you to support you along this crazy path. You will meet many new friends

I like your attitude from your profile, so strong and positive "I’ll fight all I can what else can you do". Nice one Donc. 

I look forward to seeing how your journey goes, good luck Donc.

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • I received a really short course of radiotherapy and was told to drink plenty and radiotherapy can cause dehydration, also your tissue is recovering and requires water. Tea, coffee and green tea dehydrate so water was recommended 

• Hi Donc, the symptoms will probably increase over the next couple of weeks. If you become concerned about any of the symptoms, please contact your GP or lung nurse. After my radiotherapy I did need some pain killers to help me through “the peak”. It wasn’t severe, but definitely uncomfortable. You may also feel like your oesophagus becomes inflamed, and eating may become painful. I found ice cream and ice lolly’s helped a lot with this. 
    Take care x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chellesimo

If only I have the added bonus of being diabetic I will make sure I drink plenty try and eat what I can if that happens thank you so much for your advise Smile gonna talk to gp and lung nurse on Monday 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

I’m the lady 

• The only side effect i had was very very itchy skin, but i did get a creme from doc and it did help !

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Pet1968

Same here all clear now moved on to chemo and immunotherapy start injections today