Advice wanted

• 68 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi all

Had problems w site and then ended up in hospital w kidney stone!!  At least not cancer related .. so not been on site for a while.

I finished my chemo and saw my consultant on Wednesday last week after a Pet Scan she said that the I had had very good response only one tumour in my liver which has not responded otherwise I am clear.  She said that the MDT discussed resecting the tumour as it is on the surface and easily accessible which would give me a good prognosis - years rather than months.  If there had been a medical reason I would have been disappointed but would have understood but I cannot get my head round his attitude. 

My oncologist still thinks resection is my only hope - no other treatments and no trials available as they are unlikely to start until sometime next year because of covid.  She has suggested a further scan in 6 weeks with a view to asking liver consultant to reconsider but to me 6 weeks is a long time and with covid they may well have stopped surgery again.  Any ideas??

x

• Didn't realise I could have edited my original post.

Don't know what happened to it as the important bit has disappeared but the liver consultant said he did not consider it reasonable as the cancer will come back at some point. ***

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E
    • Hi Deb 1E, this sounds so harsh to me. It needs a lot more discussion and less of an announcement. I don’t know how you go about seeing a different consultant but am sure that your GP will be able to help or someone on here will probably know. I don’t think personally that I would be able to trust anyone with that attitude, to do their best for me. Nothing is sure with cancer at all. How does he know that it will definitely come back or that it might not, or even not for a long time. We are all differently and there are many different responses to treatments.                                                   Please continue to make the most of your life and enjoy it. Hopefully a second consultant will if not give you a different outcome, talk it through in a way that actually shows care and compassion so that you feel more in control if everything.    Poor you having kidney stones they are nasty as I know from experience.                 I hope it helps to know you have been listened to at least.                                       Love and hugs.                                             Maggie xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Deb1E

I agree with  

That sounds like an incredibly harsh decision. You deserve a fuller explanation, at the very least. Can you get a second opinion (urgently, to beat any possible Covid restrictions)? I would think that should be easy, as your oncologist agrees with you. Don't let this surgeon dismiss you so easily.

• Hi there I totally agree with alive and AP7 comments we are all individuals when it comes to cancer that was the very first thing drilled in my head when I was first diagnosed they only have me 3 months and I am still here!!!!!!!! the consultant should be doing everything they can to prolong your life not giving up on you I would get a second opinion stay strong and fight xxx

Flippen
  • Seems to me the two consultants have different views. Your oncologist should be the person who can explain how the cancer will behave after resection, the liver consultant the impact on your liver, the main question is 

1 what would recovery from surgery look like

2 how long does your oncologist believe this will hold the cancer at bay

as others have stated, you need further information before accepting that no further treatment is beneficial 

• Hi all

Thank you for the responses - I have looked at the NICE guidelines and it says treatment should be agreed after proper consultation with patient so I am asking my oncologist if I can see the liver consultant myself.  Given the implications for me I would like to think that he would have the xxx to see me..  Also asking for a second opinion as I have seen posts on various sites of people who have had a second liver re-section after cancer has recurred and one person had a liver re-section and radiotherapy treatment for tumours on her lungs as well after a further recurrence.

As I understand it the tumour is on the surface and easily accessible so that is not an issue and the median survival w resection is 4-5 years as opposed to my current prognosis of months so quite a difference. They do agree that health wise I am doing ok all things considered so that is not an issue for surgery.  Obviously no guarantees but ... 

Will let you know what response I get. x

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E
  • That sounds like a hateful decision from the liver consultant. You surely must be able to push back against that.

Good luck Deb1E.

Much love,

Stuart x

• really pleased to hear that you are fighting on with this but you shouldn't have to in the first place they should be offering you everything to keep you alive that is there job we have enough of a battle with cancer without having to fight for treatments as well you keep fighting on dog with a bone I say big hugs xxx

Flippen
  • Hello Deb1E I hope you are feeling alright. I am glad you have had a good news scan. 

I was given to understand that surgery is not an option once cancer has spread - that's what I was led to believe. I ask this question on a regular basis. The consultant sounds a little harsh. I hope you can find a way through x

Flowerlady x
  • Hi

My oncologist tells me that I am cancer free other than this one tumour - resection was her suggestion as no other options for treatment for anal cancer which has produced mets.  Can but put forward my argument and see what happens..  It has been done in other hospitals maybe it depends on the NHS Trust.  x

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E