Devastating news.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi everyone, some of you will know my history but i will just update for those who dont know. I was diagnosed six years ago with non small cell lung cancer, i had a course of chemo which shrunk the tumours by 75%, then when thing started to regrow i went to the christie at manchester to take part in a trial which gave me good results for a couple of years, after that i had immunotherapy which caused lots of complications. When i couldnt have any more of that they offered me more chemo which i refused and over christmas and new year i had radiotherapy. My scan results shoed that it had shrunk some bits but i had two new spots, one on my adrenal gland on my kidney and one in my neck. I had started to get some odd symptoms such as really bad headaches and dizziness and my arm started to do its own jerking thing, they sent me for a brain scan on the 5th of July and on monday this week i got a call from my lung nurse saying that my Oncologist wanted to see me yesterday friday 10th july. Well although i had suspected it i was told i now have brain mets and they are in the place that controls sight !.  

She has put me on steroids to help with the symptoms but this is the end of the road for me and i am so sad. I will be refered to our local hospice for end of life care and will hopefully hear from them soon. I  want to die here in my own home with my family and of course my wonderfull husban who has been my rock over the last six years, he has never missed an appointment and when we were told last week that he couldnt come to my app because of covid he kicked up a fuss (not like him and he came in with me to get the bad news. 

I am so scared, i dont know how long i have left and i really dont want to know, i just want to go on my holiday to scotland in september, God willing and make some more lovely memoroies with my family and friends.

I just want to say without this forum, the wisdom, advice and friendship albeit  virtual it has made my journey so much easier.Thank you all. keep it going for all those that need it after we do. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lyn

i am really sorry to hear your news. I read your post and wanted to send you a message of love and friendship even though we have never physically met. As you say we are all virtual friends and youHuggingre travelling a road which we are all on just at different stages. I hope the steroids help and I am so glad you Anne the love and support of such a devoted family . I send a virtual hug Hugging, love, friendship support and want you to keep making those wonderful memories with your family and friends. All my love Tamencio xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Forgive the spelling mistakes Lynn, i just wanted to send my love and support.

• Dear Lynn2

Please can I offer my support. I can't imagine how you may be feeling, I am glad you have a good network in place.

Take care, xx

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear brave Lynn2

i could not pass your post without saying how much I admire your courage to be able to put in writing what you and your family have been through and the outcome of your latest sad news,I hope all the help that is there for you is the best to help you and your loved ones get through the hard days ahead but I wishing there’s still plenty of love and laughter around you and time is unimportant to think about .enjoy your holiday and make lovely memories and let usknow how your doing .im finished all treatment for my lung cancer immunotherapy did not work for me as it caused more harm than good there is signs of spread awaiting scan results to see what’s going on.take carex

• Hi Lynn2

I am so sorry to hear this, i hope you get your holiday as well.

I have no words, except its been a pleasure to have meet you, and you have been an inspiration to many that are on this group.

I wish you and your husband plenty of time to make more memories.

Take Care Ellie xx

"You Never Walk A Lone"

•  Oh Lynn, I was so upset to read your post. As you know I was dx a year before you and when they finally found you had the Braff600 gene like me, that opened up more treatment options, I thought at last that was a turning point for you!

Like your husband, mine has been at all my appointments and also like yours it would be out of character for him to kick up a fuss but I can imagine under those circumstances, my husband would do the same and not take no for an answer! Good  for your husband! I know you have a large family to support you but the hospice nurses will come to your home to help make you comfortable.

Im sure you have helped more people here than you ever thought possible, God bless you!

There are no words to tell you my feelings at this moment but I know you enjoyed your last holiday up here in Scotland, so I hope you and your husband will get to enjoy another one making more happy memories! I hope and pray you will post again with an update that you have enjoyed a lovely holiday. I will even try to order the sun for you!

Take Care my friend,

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Sorry to hear your news lynn in joy your time in Scotland I need September myself and my husband are going there to with are caravan Fingers crossed it’s good to have something to look forward to.All the best xx

• Hi ,

I am so sorry to hear your news.  Hopefully the hosice will be able to offer you some reasurance and enable you to firm up your plans.  Your husband sounds very special and I am glad that you have him with you at this time.

I hope that you get your holiday and even more things to enjoy.

Sending both of you my love,

Gragon x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

So sorry to read this Lynn

I hope the anti seizure medication will make you feel a bit more 'normal' again. I am on Keppra and it does me well. If I forget a dose, I know very quickly I have forgotten to take it. If you feel nauseas Cyclizine is a good one for brain mets too.

The hospice should also be there to support your wishes to be at home when the time comes and help you and your husband to do everything you both would like. They are there to do so much more than just what people think they are there for.

Hopefully you will get away in September with your husband and make many a fond memory together.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am so sorry to hear about the spread of the cancer to your brain. That does sound frightening. 

I feel lost for words now and don’t know what I can say that hasn’t already been said.

You are so very lucky to have your wonderful husband and family with you. I do hope the hospice nurses will reassure you that you will be comfortable and supported at the end. 

But first you’ve got that holiday to look forward to. Just the thought of it makes me smile. I hope it keeps you smiling too 

xx