Unrelenting Pain

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 41 subscribers

So, I've have stg 4 terminal cancer in my abdomen and spine.

I was on Morphine and Gabapentin but the pain was unstoppable. This week my medication has changed to Oxycodone and Gabapentin. Day three on the new regime...omg I gable a 24 hrs headache of the worst kind. 

Feel better today but still have this bloody pain in my spine. 

Been looking for a wheelchair today because my walking is getting more and more difficult.  Pain in my body dominating all my waking thoughts. 

I do not have anything to look forward to....I'm just waiting to die. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am so sorry to hear you’re in pain. I do so feel for you. I’ve had times when I have not been able to get on top of the pain and it’s the worst. I remember thinking that if this was what life was like then I didn’t want to be alive.

I just kept complaining / talking to anyone who’d listen, whether the GP, hospice nurses or oncologists - until someone listened. I did find it took a few days for a new pain regime to settle down. 

Maybe I’ve been lucky. I really hope you’ll get lucky too. 

xx

• Hi, Welcome to the group, I don't think we have chatted before. I looked on your Profile Page to see if you had a partner, spouse, family etc and to find out when you were diagnosed but you haven't filled it in yet!

Pain is one of the worst things, I've suffered a lot with it, most of the time, I can cope but then it flares up and is unbearable! There are many different pain medications out there, it's a case of finding the right one that works for you. As Daloni said it takes a new med a bit of time to work, once it has built up in your system. I have tried lots and recently was in tears with the pain. We have a Pharmacist in our surgery and I phoned him to let him know how bad it had got. He said the one I was on had run its course and it was time to change to another, He had a word with my GP and phoned me back. So I have just started on a different drug and the excruciating pain has gone but I am still in a bit of pain, which is why I'm awake at this time of the morning. It's only my second week, so fingers crossed.

You just have to tell your Oncologist, GP or someone who can help and keep telling them until something works.  When I read your last sentence a tear came to my eye. A hug from my husband or a smile from our adult children or our grandchildren make it worthwhile for me to keep going and I have been very lucky so far. Please let us know how you get on!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!