Desolate that I’ve reached the end of the road

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 42 subscribers

I was 63 yesterday. I am single and live alone. I also have small cell lung cancer, diagnosed in December 2019. At the time of diagnosis I had mets to my liver and bones. I was treated with chemo and immunotherapy. Following a recent deterioration in my liver Function test, I was told yesterday that the lungtumour which had shrunk from 9cm to virtually nil in March was now back to 9cm, the bone mets had increased, my liver mets had gone berserk (hence the liver function test) and brain mets had appeared. The upshot is that I have progressed from incurable to ‘end of life’. they had no further treatment to offer me. I am numb. I feel abandoned  I’ve checked my will and have created a power of attorney so my sisters can deal with things on my behalf. Having done all that I feel that I’ve been left to die. Paradoxically this is making me feel worse than the cancer ever did. I’ve been mainly a symptomatic, symptoms have begun to appear but they’re not unbearable, but all I want to do now is lie in bed and have a massive pity party.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

So sorry to her about your prognosis and that you feel abandoned. I am probably o bit further along the road than you with only expected days left. 

My husband andhand children have been my rock but I also have friends and family.who are happy to visit and help out even at this time. 

I chose to take the option of dieing at home with support from the hospice Pallative Care team. My experience of hospital care has been horrendous in the past so it was a no brainer. The nurses have been great with the only drawback being the time it can take them to get to you. On Thursday pain break through started at 7 pm bit they did not get hear til 11pm. This was.hard for.my husband and daughter to watch but we have waited much longer than that on hospital wards. Also when they came they tried massage and other things which was good of them. 

I am terribly weak now but still able to take stock of things and write some goodbyes. I am trying to make the most of every minute and get frustrated I cannot do more but even to y things are tiring. I did not know you could be this weak. 

My advice is to keep going best you can and perhaps set yourself a little task to do each day.  God will take care of the rest we cannot choose the time. 

• Hello lovely Maz. You are still helping and improving peoples lives daily. We want you to hang around and keep it up please. People should be clapping you now. Xxx

• FormerMember

You are amazing, so poorly but still thinking of others. Such a role model for your family. 

Much love, Tracy x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Get a second opinion quick my oncologist said there was nothing she could do if chemo and radiotherapy didn’t work for small cell lung cancer a went private to get my tumour markers checked a had a melt down wi the team they told me they were looking for a cure then gave me 51 percent to life a year a said you need to fill out my insurance policy so l can go private they then said they couldn’t as they were looking for remission this is all from nov 2019 scan 16 th June 2020 so fingers crossed please look up and reaserch neem leaves

I have just sold my house to pay for treatment if l need it cause my live is more important than material things keep fighting don’t give up ave read books where people are still alive with stage four small cell cancer using alternative therapies and my oncologist still told me there was no automume meds untill l told her a had a private report she said theres one a said there 4 stick up for yourself wendy

• FormerMember

That’s my fear that it pays another Uninvited visit. I’m still on 3 monthly checks but I now feel like there may be more bloating starting. My oncology appt Was a phone call on tues. I was told to wait 4 to 6 weeks to see if it settles or to get in touch if I’m worried. As I have gained weight during shielding I have put myself on slim fast to lose a quick stone so I will know if it’s the same as what happened before. I’m sorry yours was not spotted in time you sound so brave. My GP missed a huge mass on my ovary said she had no idea....why I looked pregnant and was in so much pain so sent me for bloods. CA125 Was what raised alarm.