Sky news and Today Programme

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi gang 

Yesterday evening turned out quite unexpectedly exciting. I had a call via some contacts to ask if I’d be able to be a cancer patient interviewee for the BBC and Sky News. So I found myself first on the phone to the Today  programme, and next sitting in front of my computer on a zoom meeting for Sky News. My big girl filmed me in the kitchen making a cup of tea and reading letters from the NHS. 

The news item is all about new data coming from the NHS showing how far behind it’s fallen with waiting list and targets. That’s due out at 09.30 I believe. Both programmes are running items ahead of the release and have decided to focus on cancer in their coverage. So I was interviewed about my recent experiences.

My message was straightforward. The NHS has been there for me in a medical emergency, but now I’m looking for treatment I’m in limbo. This needs to end. I did add about the support I’ve had from the Macmillan Online community, but I suspect that will get cut.

I’m told it will be the lead item for Sky News from 6am and appear on BBC today at 6:50. Events sometimes change things overnight but if you’re interested, tune in! 

The really exciting news, though, is that I extended my daily walk, just a little bit. I managed 15 minutes and when I got home I wasn’t in need of painkillers. This is real progress.

xx

• Thanks for the message I was able to list to 5 live and also told my son and he listened as well . He lives in London.

i thought you spoke very well. It does encourage me to listen to you how well you are coping.

it did make me feel emotional as well.

love xxx

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I heard you on the radio and you spoke so well. It’s not just cancer patients who are suffering, as we all know. My friend has a heart condition and was desperately ill at home for two weeks. She’s in hospital now thank goodness but it took far too long to get her there.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Oh what a shame only saw this too late.  But I just know you would have spoken eloquently. X

• Hi Everyone, I programmed the tv to tape BBC1 from 6-8am and also BBC1 England for the same time but haven't been able to fine the article! Like Devoncat, I tried to find it on UTube & Sky News without success.

However I'm sure Daloni got her view accross and was terrific! If anyone has found it on catch up or UTube please let me know where!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Daloni

Unfortunately I didn't catch it either but if I know you, you'll have given it your best. I looked at the 6 o'clock and 10 o'clock news and there were a couple of people talking about cancer and the article was quite good but would have been better if our Daloni were putting her views on too

Take care and keep safe Daloni

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Hi 

The Radio 5 Live interview went really well. I explained how to stay cheerful in the face of being in limbo. It did rather throw the woman from Macmillan who was alongside me to talk about how Macmillan’s campaigning on our behalf. But she pulled herself back together and we had a really good chat. I even managed to get a mention of the online community in!  If anyone wants to catch up, he is how. 

Go to the BBC Sounds app and open The Emma Barnett show for Wednesday.  The discussion  starts at 12.16 (so two hours 16 minutes from the start of the programme) with a talking head setting the scene for a discussion about the NHS. Then there’s about 10 minutes where I come in twice in two biggish chunks. It goes me, Sarah Bainbridge from Macmillan, some nice feedback from listeners to what I’ve said to more of me.

The interviewer did ask some great questions that allowed me to just talk.

The oddest thing happened when I’d finished. I did the interview from my office, which is a posh shed at the bottom of my garden. I came up to the house to show off to my daughter about how well I’d done. On the draining board was a vase that came from my mother. It was one she bought herself and loved. I don’t know how but it got smashed. My mother was very much against pride and very much in favour of taking you down a peg or two my girl. I had a very strong sense of her presence of her in the room with me.

Xx

• Hi Daloni

Just listened to your radio interview you were amazing and your description of how you felt at the start is exactly how I am feeling right now.  Hopefully I can get to the point you are at sooner rather than later because I know I am wasting time.  

Not been on forum for a few days as had problems logging in and have stopped getting email updates of postings but hopefully all now working...

The sun is out here so hopefully you are enjoying it where you are.  

Have a good day x

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E