Sky news and Today Programme

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi gang 

Yesterday evening turned out quite unexpectedly exciting. I had a call via some contacts to ask if I’d be able to be a cancer patient interviewee for the BBC and Sky News. So I found myself first on the phone to the Today  programme, and next sitting in front of my computer on a zoom meeting for Sky News. My big girl filmed me in the kitchen making a cup of tea and reading letters from the NHS. 

The news item is all about new data coming from the NHS showing how far behind it’s fallen with waiting list and targets. That’s due out at 09.30 I believe. Both programmes are running items ahead of the release and have decided to focus on cancer in their coverage. So I was interviewed about my recent experiences.

My message was straightforward. The NHS has been there for me in a medical emergency, but now I’m looking for treatment I’m in limbo. This needs to end. I did add about the support I’ve had from the Macmillan Online community, but I suspect that will get cut.

I’m told it will be the lead item for Sky News from 6am and appear on BBC today at 6:50. Events sometimes change things overnight but if you’re interested, tune in! 

The really exciting news, though, is that I extended my daily walk, just a little bit. I managed 15 minutes and when I got home I wasn’t in need of painkillers. This is real progress.

xx

• Hi , I know that you say the exciting news is extending your daily walk but it sounds like being interviewed has given you a real adrenaline boost and a renewed sense of purpose. I’ll be tuning in tomorrow, I hope it doesn’t get cut.

best wishes

Take care KT

• Hi This sounds like just what the people need to hear, from the horses mouth you might say! Of course I'm not calling our Daloni a horse, I'm sure you all know what I mean! Well done and well done for that little extra walk to! Did the BBC put a spring in your step, or was it already there!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear ,

You are, as usual, a STAR. Its the same here, Ive had no treatment since January. I did manage to get a scan scheduled for the 19th, so   we will see what waiting 4 months between cycles (instead of 28 days) does.

Hope your Staring role message is noticed by the NHS and others.

xx

• Hi

I just saw you on Sky News and well done, now I can say I know a famous person!

The message needs to get out there, I am lucky I am getting chemo but many are not and it is mental torture not to have some sort of time scale. I have always found that uncertainty is one of the most difficult issues to deal with.

Nicky

A life lived in fear, is a life half lived.
    Nicky
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nicky Nosher

Thanks  

The BBC used one tiny snippet. I’ve yet to see sky news but my mates said it was good. What a way to start the day Blush

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi daloni, I've been trying to find the article on YouTube as I didn't see sky news what date was is aired, glad you got the message out, like others I'm stuck in limbo

Best wishes

Devoncat

• That's brilliant news and I can sense your excitement. It's brilliant too that you had a longer walk and were in no pain

X

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to flowerlady

How exciting. I missed the early news and you weren’t on the later bulletin, but I’m so pleased you were able to make the very important point that the virus isn’t the only show in town. I’m pleased to know someone on tv who doesn’t have a mugshot. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

I have been asked to go on Radio 5 Live today at 12.15 if anyone is interested in tuning in

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I saw you on BBC . Well done you looked great.