Bad news

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 184 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi gang 
I talked to my today oncologist about the scan on Tuesday and it’s not good news.

The tumours in my lungs are growing and there’s a new growth in the liver.

They think the pain I’m in is caused by growth in the cancer around my kidney. It’s now pressing on a nerve and this (rather than the spine tumour which was last week’s theory) would also explain the numbness in the skin on my thigh.

The team has proposed radiotherapy to the kidney tumour with the aim of giving me some pain control. They (and I) think this is the top priority. 

Beyond that UCLH has no useful trials to offer so my oncologist is contacting Barts, Guys and the Marsden to see if they have anything.

Sorry to bring bad news but I know you like to know.

I’ve been in appalling pain for a few days now and the hospice nurses have been great. I’m now on stronger pain killers to try to bring the pain under control. I’m hoping the next 24 hours will see some change because frankly I can’t go on like this. 

It’s been frightening how quickly I’ve deteriorated. On Monday I was walking the dog. Ok I was struggling but I did it.  Today I’ve been in too much pain to stand long enough to cook dinner. I guess it takes only a small amount of growth to go from not pressing on a nerve to pressing on a nerve.

It feels like I’ve crossed a rubicon here. I’m no longer treatable but not curable. Now it’s the palliative phase. It’s a lot to take in. There have been tears here, from both me and my daughter 

Xxx

• If anyone deserves a big sticky slice of luck it's you Daloni.

It is all starting to go your way, familywise and medically wise.

You have made me feel better too!

Let's all look forward to more good news from you. Xxxx

• Hi daloni    just to wish you all the best for today. I have always enjoyed reading your postings. I will wish you luck, and plenty of it.xx

• Good luck. I hope it goes well

love xxx

Ruth 

• Hi @daloni,

I hope that your treatment has gone ok and that the side effects are minimal and manageable.

I finally received my letter so it looks like from today I am vulnerable (although obviously only a third as vulnerable as you).  Apparently I have to shield from the day I get the letter?  Which of the three days are you going for?  That means I should get out about mid July unless they extend the lock down even further.  Thank god for the garden.

and , I hope that everything has gone OK for  both you today as well.

Gragon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Hi 

yes I’m at Guys. The cancer centre opened in 2016 and it’s very swish. I had the planning CT at 9.30am. I’m still waiting for the docs to do their jiggery pokery and start the zapping. I’ve eaten the egg sandwich my daughter made for me and the apple, had a cup of tea and a chewy marshmallow bar. I’ve got an audiobook and my crochet so I’m ok. 

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Good luck. Thinking of you. 

Xx

• Hi I've been thinking about you all day! I'm wondering if your docs eventually did their "jiggery pokery and have started zapping yet"? I do hope something has happened and you're not still hanging about! Hope you are home and resting, looking forward to having both your daughters with you tomorrow! Take Care 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi &  Wondering how you both are today! Please let us know if you have any updates!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Daloni,

I hope that this finds you feeling better.  You sound like you have a wonderful team behind you.  I hope that they can zap that pain away.

xxoo

Ordinary Days

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi folks had my injection yesterday lovely district nurse she was a bit concerned re my breathing and found my stats were low and I had a high temp but it has been up and down since January. Although my next injection is not for 4 weeks she offered to call on me again next week if I wanted. They are very busy though so I said I was ok. 

Last night I was exhausted as usual but after having less than one nights sleep in two weeks I have been out of it for 11 hrs and am just up and functioning. Looking forward to a better day. Just remembered Pallative Care Nurse said she would chase scan result today. 

I am hoping all went well for D yesterday and she managed to rest also. Having that much RT in one go will be very tiring I expect. 

Thanks folks for keeping me in your thoughts it is somehow more special when fellow suffers are routing for you.