Bad news

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 184 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi gang 
I talked to my today oncologist about the scan on Tuesday and it’s not good news.

The tumours in my lungs are growing and there’s a new growth in the liver.

They think the pain I’m in is caused by growth in the cancer around my kidney. It’s now pressing on a nerve and this (rather than the spine tumour which was last week’s theory) would also explain the numbness in the skin on my thigh.

The team has proposed radiotherapy to the kidney tumour with the aim of giving me some pain control. They (and I) think this is the top priority. 

Beyond that UCLH has no useful trials to offer so my oncologist is contacting Barts, Guys and the Marsden to see if they have anything.

Sorry to bring bad news but I know you like to know.

I’ve been in appalling pain for a few days now and the hospice nurses have been great. I’m now on stronger pain killers to try to bring the pain under control. I’m hoping the next 24 hours will see some change because frankly I can’t go on like this. 

It’s been frightening how quickly I’ve deteriorated. On Monday I was walking the dog. Ok I was struggling but I did it.  Today I’ve been in too much pain to stand long enough to cook dinner. I guess it takes only a small amount of growth to go from not pressing on a nerve to pressing on a nerve.

It feels like I’ve crossed a rubicon here. I’m no longer treatable but not curable. Now it’s the palliative phase. It’s a lot to take in. There have been tears here, from both me and my daughter 

Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Hi

The twin blossoming of the malus and cherry must be a sight to behold. Just thinking about it brings a smile to my face 

xx

• Daloni, you weren't supposed to reply! However, if it has put a smile on your face, that's good to hear, really really goodSlight smile I'll send a photo of both of them later, maybe in the gardening thread. Or maybe here, we'll see Slight smile

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I hope your Sunday brings you some joy and peace too . Jx

• Dear daloni. Thank you for such a lovely message. It does put a lot on you but we do have to hear a little something from you now and again. It is your own fault for sending out calming thoughts to us all.

Our latest pleasure is to watch our badgers every night. I bought a small CCTV camera with a PIR capability to find out what was digging up my lawn and lo and behold, a big old lumbering badger! We were feeding scraps but now we are having to give eggs, bread and bird seed. If the whole family turns up I will have to do a dedicated shop for them.

It's great fun and definitely takes our mind off miserable matters for a while.

You have a relaxing rest, loads of them. Xxx

• Hi

Hopefully below should be my Malus flowering and my Japanese Cherry Tree in flower also. If I had taken the photos earlier in the day the sun wouldn't have been behind the trees but of course the sun wasn't shining earlier. Beside the Japanese Cherry Tree is a giant Chusan, or Chinese Palm. That tree reminds me of my deceased mum because she was in the car when I bought it and it fitted into the boot of the car. My wife and I had picked her up in Belfast to take her down to ours for a few days. It's about 30 years old and sheltered from the north wind by shrubs which is how it has done so well. Hope you enjoy them Slight smile

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember

They look so beautiful thanks for sharing them. In these times of uncertainty it's good to know that some beautiful things just keep going and will always be precious in the world. 

• FormerMember

What a beautiful garden a lot of love and hard work put in.You should be very proud.

Take Care Elliexx

"You Never Walk A Lone"

• Hi

In the bottom photo, the white bit to the left of the trunk is the backside of a friend's horse. He's called Blue and he's 31 years old!

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Beautiful trees.

i love seeing the blossom at this time of year.

lovely to be able to enjoy nature during this time of isolation 

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dearest Daloni and Annette,

Thank you both for welcoming me into this community, and Daloni, it is quite fine not to respond.  This  is your time to spend with your daughters and Noodle. (and maybe listen to some music and look at your beautiful garden).  I'm so glad that you woke up painless the night before last and hope that is continuing.  

My onc team is taking good care of me.  How long I have, I do not know.  Assumed would last longer than that mean Dr. Google thought, but now I'm just taking it one day, one hour, at a time, and appreciating what I have for as long as I have it.  I've long appreciated the ordinary days, since helping my elderly parents when they were around, and now I appreciate my own ordinary days.

Daloni, I hope that you are resting well, enjoying your family (and Noodle!).  I love that your dog woke you up to advise you that she needed to patrol.  Very good girl!  

Here, we are having foggy and cool days, which is perfect for my tastes.  

I join everyone in sending my love and warm wishes to you.  Although we had not met before, I consider you a friend.  

Love and hugs, 

B. 

xxoo