Private hospitals to take over NHS cancer patients

• 18 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hello all, not a scurrilous rumour but an article in the Daily  Mail today is saying private hospitals are to take over the care of some NHS cancer patients.

I think the Mail does an online version, can someone see if this is likely to have legs or is it smoke and mirrors?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

The cancer care centre in York has been moved over the weekend from the main hospital to the private hospital, a "cold site" in an effort to reduce the risks of exposure to covid19. The staff have moved too. All the patients had a phone call explaining which services has moved. Hope this helps.

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Norberry i went yesterday to my hospital to change my dressing and its true they are moving some patients to private hospitals.I am the "lucky" one my hospital is one of the virus center.Yesterday when I went I found my chemo unit closed there was ICU unit instead.Nobody could tell me where they moved the chemo unit.Then zi found the chemo unit "dumped" on completely different floor with only 1 nurse doing picc care and bloods.So instead of of 15 min.job I spent 1,5 hrs just find the unjt and get the dressing done.The place was a mess.Hopefully they said they are moving on Friday.

Anyway the doctor have explained to us they are moving chemo unit to 2 different hospitals even to private ones.Honestly i dont mind any hospital I just want my chemo carry on.

I just wish they communicate with the patients whats going on.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have my treatment at a private hospital that has been taken over by the nhs oncology unit, and now I’m having to travel 3 hours for treatment instead of the 20 mins it normally takes me. 
    Due to issues with consultants and overlap, well lack of overlap i was told I needed to change treatment (I self fund due to treatment not being available on the nhs) and this is now needed as a recent scan showed far more spread than originally thought. 
    I have no contact and no support and no no treatment, It’s so badly organised.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Buzzy i am sorry to hear your troubles.I checked the 2 hospitals they meant to move my chemo unit,one is for me too far for me.1,5 hr tube and few buses.The other one is better but apparently i am not the one who decides.I agree with you all other NHS services are in a mess.I am waiting for Wednesday when I will be told if my treatment will continue or not.I am under pressure and stress too.My mental health is suffering never been so miserable in my life.

• Hi and

I have "liked" both your posts but I'm as far away from bloody liking them as anyone can possibly get. How can I like them, how can anyone like them, there's nothing to even think about liking them. This is why I have been asking admin to add another button, something like "sympathy" and I think there's the beginnings of support for my request. Let's be honest here, can anyone press a "like" button, does it make any sense, can I enjoy that Janet500's mental health is suffering, that she's miserable, or that Buzzy is feeling so low, that she's expected to travel for 1½ hours on a tube, followed by a few buses. I know that Covid19 is a horrible virus and from all accounts is vicious, but so is cancer, the treatment can completely wipe you out. Some people I know personally tell me the treatment is worse than the illness, there are people here who admit to that also so how the hell is someone who suffers from cancer expected to travel for 3 hours to get treatment? No! No! No! 

We need a "sympathy" button, we need to sympathise my friends, sympathise. 

A hurt Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Thank you Tvman for your support

Janet

• FormerMember

Hi Janet and Buzzy

It is terrifying reading about what’s happening to your cancer services and how poorly everything is being communicated to you. I can understand the importance of moving chemo services to “cold” corona-free sites.  I can understand the complexity of doing this, of moving equipment and staff and communicating the change. But when it’s not done well the human cost is very high. Like I’d like a sympathy button as like doesn’t begin to cover it. 

I do hope things get sorted for you both 

xx

• FormerMember

PS I nearly forgot - Macmillan is campaigning on this and trying to highlight how cancer patients are being affected by the corona virus. I’ve just filled in a survey. I can’t find a link but I can highlight this thread to the campaigns team and ask them how people can get in touch if they want to share their stories if you’d be interested. 

• Hi  I got the survey via email, filled it in, sent it, then deleted it! So sorry Can't even remember where it came from! I suppose I assumed everyone got them!

Yes another button, maybe Empathy, Sad or agree rather than just like! No one likes having cancer after all!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember

Hi Daloni and thanknyou for your support.Just had a phone call from my onco yesterday and actually finally I spoke to one who is very nice a patient.She asked me if I want to carry on with chemo and i said yes.I am going to have it in another hospital but this onenis luckily not the "far away"from me.I never thought I will be happy to carry on with chemo but because of the good results.