Sleep anxieties

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi All I'm new to this situation and to this site. I've not been given a prognosis yet but have a stage 4 cholangiocarcinoma. Palliative care is all that's available to me. Very quickly, has anyone here suffered from sleep anxieties? I fear going to sleep as I feel like I'm stopping breathing, and I can't get rid of it. Can anyone help?

Best Regards

peebee59

• Hello peebee59

Sorry you find yourself here, it's a lot to take in and it's not easy. I don't think I can help you with your sleep anxiety, other than to ask if you have a Macmillan nurse that you could speak to? I had difficulty with anxiety after diagnosis and was prescribed something to calm me down. Others on here maybe able to help you. Everyone on here is brilliant, so helpful and caring. 

Take care, xx

Flowerlady x
  • Hi peebee59                                                                                                                                                                                       just want to say hi,i,m sorry to hear about your sleep anxiety its all the stress and its difficult for our brains to take in. flowerlady is right having a chat to a Macmillan nurse is probably your best bet.I am sure other people will come on this forum and offer their help and advice, there are so many lovely souls on this site we all look out for one another.I hope you sort this out soon Take care Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. That’s a lot to take in and it doesn’t surprise me to hear you’re having difficulty sleeping. 

I have ongoing insomnia - show me the middle aged who doesn’t, with or without incurable cancer. But your problems sound in a different league. I think you should talk to your GP. I can’t give you any medical advice as I’m not a doctor but I can share my experience of anxiety, which definitely makes my insomnia worse. My GP was able to prescribe me some medication and refer me for counselling. The combination of the two was very helpful. I’ve also found meditation really useful for managing my anxiety. I use the headspace app. I don’t take the tablets any more as I manage my anxiety without it. 

I do hope this is helpful. I can imagine you’re in shock right now but over the next few weeks I hope that will ease. Lots of questions are going to come up so do call on the hive mind here in the community. We’ve all worried about things we’ve thought were daft but honestly, there’s no such thing as a stupid question here. 

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi danoli

Thank you so much for your most kind and quick response. I've actually been diagnosed for just about a year now but this anxiety is very new and has pole-axed me to be honest. I've never been a stressful person and although I have absolutely no doubt this is 99% in my mind I simply don't know how to cope with it. 

To have had such kind answers already such as yours gives me hope that there are others out there who have felt the same and I can look forward to some community support as well as professional.

It is interesting to hear your comments. My treatment is being split between my GP, the local hospice and the Oncology department at Maidstone. The hospice has by far been the best at helping with this side of my treatment but unfortunately as you probably know mental health problems take a lot longer to enter the system than physical! 

I wish you every possible help with your future and look forward to speaking again soon. 

Kindest regards

peebee59

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to wino

Hi wino

Thank you for your quick and kind response. I think possibly you're right. As said to daloni, my hopice are giving me the best support so far and medication is also now really starting to kick in and help, but it all takes so long, at a time you really need help now!!

I wish you every success avaiable in your treatment to come.

Kindest regard

peebee59

• FormerMember

Hi

Well isn’t the world a small place. I’d be treated at Maidstone if I wasn’t at the trials unit at UCLH. Like you, I split my care between the hospital, my GP and the hospice. Are you under the care of Hospice in the Weald? I think they are brilliant. 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to flowerlady

Hi flowerlady

Thank you so much for your prompt and kind response. I'm not sure anyone can take the problem away, but just the fact that you've been so kind to stop and think about me and responding to my initial contact to the site means so much.

My hospice have sprung to life within the last 24 hours and a lot of support is heading my way - but as yet nothing truly, apart from yesterday which was very much off schedule, regarding mental health.

And you are right, the people on here have been brilliant so far. I'm genuinely overwhelmed by the number of answers I've had as a newcomer to the site.

Look after yourself please

Kindest regards

peebee59

• FormerMember

Hi daloni

It's a small world to say the least. No, I'm under Heart of Kent, which is based on the RLBI site just south of Hermitage Road where Maidstone hospital is.

And the staff there have been absolutely wonderful as well. My youngest has had experiences of hospices in Sussex before with one of her in-laws and they were all brilliant there too. I think it takes that extra special kind of person to work at a centre like that.

And thank goodness for them all

xx

• Hi Welcome to the group, I'm afraid I don't have the answer to your sleep anxieties but just wanted you to know, I hope you find a solution via your medical professionals. Now you've joined this group, you will always have someone to talk to, which sometimes in itself helps! Please let us know how you are getting on!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!