Lymphedema Help/Experience

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 41 subscribers

So BCN was a bit over enthusiastic with her plans 4 getting an appt at the lymphedema clinic. Gonna have 2 wait a bit longer & it'll b at the Aberdeen clinic (66miles away).

2day has bn particularly ouchy - pins & needles in fingers plus pain under arm heading 2wards my trunk. Munching down the painkillers, elevating offending limb & wiggling fingers. Trying the feathery massage but some bits of skin r really sore 2 touch. Any other suggestions? 

Not a happy bunny 2day

Ciao

WB

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

As if you don't have enough to deal with  

I don't have any suggestions,  except to say there is a lymphedema group. People there might be more helpful. 

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi WB

same here, I’m afraid. My lymphoedema nurse suggested deep breathing and tapping along the breast bone to stimulate the lymph system but it was of bugger all help as far as I could see. I was also told it’s important to keep the skin well moisturised using a non perfumed cream such as E45  

Sorry you’re in so much discomfort 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Well 2day is a t*** up day.

Had my regular dressings appt at clinic but it was pretty sore on removal so the waterworks started - in came senior nurse ( how's things going?), in comes doc (let's speak pain relief increase), in comes district nurse ?(we've not met b4 but let's do some home visits) ' meanwhile lying on the table with my disgusting boobs on show. Poor hubbie was in the waiting room seeing all these people coming & going. And I'm worried about the poor guy being late 4 work - he's my chauffeur whilst I can't operate handbrake!!!

Home 2 find a cancellation has come up at the new lymphedema clinic which is started in my home town (actually at the end of my street but I'll still need a flippin taxi 2 get there...weakling that I am).

Having 2 "treat" myself 2 a manicure & pedicure this week as I can't do any of my nails & I'm one experience with hubbie cutting one nail was scary. Gonna b expensive me thinks even though I have only 8 toenails (ingrown toenail removal b4 C) & I cant have polish on my fingernails...

Long winded story but no one else 2 speak 2 when signed off...

Take care

WB xx

• Hi WB,

That sounds pretty s**t to me (that is probably s**te to you in Scotland) and it is no wonder you are having a bad day.  It is good to hear though that your medical team are rallying around and trying to help where they can.

It's also good to hear that you have got in at the lymphedema clinic quicker than you thought that you would.

I know you really don't want to have your visit to get your nails done but if you are going to have it done anyway you might as well relax and enjoy your treat.  In the longer term do you not have a girlfriend who can help you out with your nails.  My wife travelled work on the train for a couple of years and a few of her friends used to pass the time seeing to each others nails.  I do understand what you mean about your husband though.  I sometimes scare myself cutting my own nails. 

I also had a couple of in growing toe nails sorted in the past and more recently, as a result of having type 2 diabetes and cancer I was referred to the podiatrist and now see them every 12 weeks to keep my feet sorted.

It's supposed to be absolutely awful weather in the next few days so I would just enjoy your time off, stay warm and relax.

Talk to you again soon.

Gragon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That is so bollocky Bill, WB. What a rubbish day. But hurray for the more local lymphoedema service. 

I saw my lymphoedema nurse today. I’ve been seeing them for 18 months now and they are fab. I have a review every six months and get new compression stockings. They mark up my legs at 10cm intervals and take measurements and use that to work out the difference in volume between the legs and change from the last time I saw them. A lot of my lymphoedema has disappeared since the autumn when I started on blood thinners which reduced the clot around the cancer blocking the blood supply to my kidney. She measured that I’ve lost a litre of fluid from my right leg and slightly less from my left leg. A pretty pleasing result, I reckon. I know I feel more comfortable and attractive without the tree trunk legs and saggy bag of fluid on my tummy. It’s quite interesting to see the change in numbers though. 

I am sending you lots of love, dear WB. Enjoy your pedicure and manicure. You know you’re worth it 

xxx