Results

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I had a meeting with my oncologist yesterday to discuss my scan and she said that the ventricles in my brain are filling up with fluid theyre changing the chemo im on if it doesnt work i may have to have a shunt put in which lowers my life expectancy to 6 weeks has anyone else been through this ? Sorry its around xmas time. Many thanks 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Liz

I am really sorry to hear about what you’re going through. I can’t really begin to imagine what it’s like to hear something like this. I have no experience of any of this but I wanted to let you know I read your post and to send you a gentle hug 

xxx

• Hi Lizs90

I dont have any info to answer you with, but noticed no one had answered, which is always horrible as it feels as if you are being ignored. Sounds like scarey information to have been given. I wonder if the brain tumour forum users may have more experience to offer you? Hope you get some information from people who have been through it, or a professional on the ask and expert part of the forum.

Please dont apologise for the timing, bad stuff happens everyday of the year. But it may explain why no one  has answered yet - people may not be reading on here at the moment. Also, you dont have to use a smiley emoji when I would expect you to be feeling very anxious.

Love and light to you at this time, hope you have support.

• Hi Lizzi () I'm sorry to read the news about your scan but I just hope the change of chemo does work for you and there's no need to think any further past that! Let's hope so! I have no personal experience of this but just wanted you to know I'm sending you a virtual big (((HUG))) and hope it helps a little!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for your hug :) and response not much can be done until this new chemo i suppose but my luck the last year seems to have run out ive always had a gut feeling though. 

• Hi ,

I'm sorry to hear that you got such disappointing news at your consultation and very much hope that your change in chemo gets you a good result.

I don't know much about shunts but I did know a young woman aged about 18 a few years ago who had a shunt in her brain since she was a baby and she had to return to hospital every six months or so to check it was still working OK and, on at least one occasion when I knew her, to have it replaced / repaired.  I agree that you might find more information about these procedures on the brain tumours groups.  It seems strange to me that they would put you through a medical procedure which will by it's nature be very intrusive, if your life expectancy following the procedure would be six weeks.

No apologies are required, if you need support or advice you need it when you need it.

love and hugs,

Gragon x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Yeah i got told 10months  originally 2 years with treatment but if i do have to have a shunt put in itll go down to 6 weeks so fingers crossed it works. Everyone says not to google it so just been looking and asking people on here its just hard i suppose. 

• Hi Lizs90,My mother has a shunt.It was fitted in 2004 following a brain haemorrhage.Mum's ventricles were not working and she suffered from raised intercranial pressure with severe headaches and vomiting.She had lumbar punctures to relieve the pressure but after 11 of these it was too dangerous to continue so the shunt was fitted.It was difficult to adjust to the inner ear balance at first but mum has had very few problems with it since.My very best wishes to you.Jane xx (from the bladder board)

• Hi Lizzie You are better not to Google as their website is not up to date anyway so you'd be reading old news! Well, they told you 2years then changed it! They told me 5-7 months and they were wrong by a long way. What I'm trying to say is don't get caught up dwelling on their numbers because as often as not, they are not accurate! I do hope they are way out in your case!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

I havent googled any thing just used Macmillan and cancer research website. But im still unsure if theres any point having a shunt put in like if i dont have it how much time will i have? if i do have it itll be about 6 weeks so is there any point going through surgery for 6 weeks when someone else could benefit from the surgery. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

I can see it’s a really difficult decision to make. Perhaps this aid to decision making from Macmillan might help? 

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/breast-cancer/treating/treatment-decisions/coming-to-your-decision/making-your-decision.html

I do hope you can reach the decision that’s right for you 

xxx