Problems with ANTIBIOTICS?

• 40 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi Everyone, As you know I have been in bed all week with a severe chest infection my GP said was heading towards pneumonia. He gave me a 7 day course of Clarithromycin 500mgs twice a day! The main problem is my mouth! I feel as if my tongue is raw and I've lost the top layer of skin on it! My whole mouth is now sore and burning, it sounds crazy but even my teeth are painful.

I was wondering has anyone else had this kind of reaction to this or any other antibiotic? I only have 2 for Monday and one for Tuesday and that's me finished the course but don't know whether call my GP for advice in the morning or to just finish the course and hope this all goes away!

Thank you for reading this, it's making me miserable and that's just not me! Even my cup of tea tastes terrible. He did say I'd have a metallic taste in my mouth but.........

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Anne I have the same and they told me Thrush.prescribed bystanders to use but it has come back again.i can’t drink Coffee taste disgusting.

• Glad you changed the antibiotics hope you got some nystatin too.

i had to take alendronic  acid for 4;years and had to stand up and then not sit or lie. down for 30 minutes I used to take the dogs for a walk 

hooe th chest infection clears up and you can enjoy your Christmas.

i have finally sorted the money from the sale of my mother’s house and sent a third to my brother in England and took a few attempts to get the third to my sister in America. Hopefully it is on its way now it took 2 tries at the bank who didn’t seem to know what to do.

i saw the cardiologist yesterday who did echocardiogram and ecg and I am to start water tablets when I go back on the lenvatinib to control the blood pressure so I will do that in January. Queue to collect the tablets at the hospital was 1.5 hours after spending 2 hours to see the doctor so we are going back to pick them up on Monday ! Didn’t want to leave the dog any longer.

i also spent 2 hours at the bank yesterday and today 

love Ruth 

Ruth 

• Hi  I'm starting to feel a little better, although my mouth and throat still feel raw! 

It seems most of the cancer hospital pharmacies are much the same. I used to sometimes be up to three hours to see the oncologist then another 90 minutes or more to wait for the drugs. Quite often my husband arranged to go the next day to collect them and he said it felt so good to walk in...pick them up...then walk out, especially when the waiting room was overflowing to the corridor as it usually did!

Well done you! That's great getting all the financial stuff done before Christmas although it's been a long haul what with clearing then selling your mum's house. I do hope your siblings appreciate all the work you have done while coping with hospital appointments!

Take Care 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Glad you are feeling better.

i didn’t know the pharmacy wait would be so long.

yes my brother and sister are happy to have the money and have thanked me for dealing with it all. Transferring money to America was not straightforward.

Daloni,

good luck with the trial I hope it works for you.

i am restarting the lenvatinib on Jan 13th and hope this time with the extra BP medicine I will be able to stay on the drug.

love Ruth 

Ruth 

• Hi Annette

I hope you're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel Blush

I used to have a terribly long wait for my meds until my Haematologist had a great idea.  To help, I started to get my bloods taken at my surgery a couple of days beforehand and the results were available therefore before I arrived for my appointment at the cancer unit. So Barbara, my Haematologist, accessed the results early, before I arrived, and ordered my meds so I wouldn't have to wait for an hour or more. Now that I'm neutropenic things may change in that regard, but we'll see.

I would love to hear from you after Christmas and find out that you have been able to enjoy your Christmas meal and had a lovely day with your family.

Take care Annette

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi Tvman, Yes at last I think I'm starting to feel a bit better, thanks! Regarding waiting for the pharmacy, I asked the third time I saw the oncologist about getting my bloods done at my own surgery. I got them done on the Monday or Tuesday when I was at oncology on the Thursday, so that did save me time waiting to get bloods done and then the results before the script could be written for pharmacy. It just seemed that no matter the time of day, they were backed up. Also it's a purpose built cancer hospital and the pharmacy is tiny, so there are only about 3-4 staff in it and it's full! Anyway, I wonder if your meds will change now or if all stays the same!

Of course I'll enjoy Christmas Day, no matter how I feel. I'd just like to be able to actually taste the food I eat! Oh and get rid of my croaky voice, I can hardly speak. My husband is having a good laugh, whispering back when I ask him something! Everyone is a comedian!!!

Love Annette x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hurray! I’m so glad you’re feeling better at last

xxx

• Hi Daloni, Yes I'm glad too! For a while there, I thought after this long fighting, a chest infection was going to be like MY walking under a bus!!! If you know what I mean! Lol! I was out for the first time yesterday, since we got back from Manchester and I couldn't believe just how quickly I got tired!

I even talked my husband into going up to the loft and bringing down the tree and decs! Well, it's downstairs but not up yet, that's tomorrow's task! I will also write some cards, better late than never! Enjoy a nice cup of tea when you get home and watch the girls decorate! I'm sure they'll enjoy it and you will enjoy watching! Oh just thought, this is the first Christmas you have had Noodle! Will you put the tree out of reach or will she obey when you tell her "not to touch" now that she's almost finished her training! When my sister had 2 golden retrievers, after the first two days, she used to put the tree in her dining room and close the door. Both dogs thought the baubles were balls for them to play with! Absolute chaos! But funny!

Love Annette x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi Annette

We were at my niece’s with Noodle when she put her tree up. Just a small one mounted on a coffee table low enough for Noodle to put her front paws on the edge. We have a wonderful video of Noodle, entire bottom wagging with excitement, reaching up with her mouth to a dangling bauble. Meanwhile my niece’s kittens are on the table and batting the baubles with their paws. It’s hilarious. 

I am not sure we are going to manage the tree this year. We are away from 23rd to 29th (although I’ll be back in the middle to start my treatment) and there hardly seems much point now. We will get some tinsel up though

I do hope your recovery continues. I remember getting out after big infections and discovering just how slow I’d become and how little energy I had. Just do what you can. 

Lots of love xxx

• Hi Annette ,

I'm so pleased that you are starting to feel better.  Perhaps you should take a leaf out of "Love actually" and use cards to communicate but instead of a declaration of love you could just write instructions and verbal abuse to be used as appropriate!

I didn't realise how long so many people have to wait for medication.  I don't know if it is because I am on a trial but my meds nearly always get handed to me by my oncologist.  On the couple of occasions that they have not been ready they have been delivered to my GP reception to collect.  Because of the system the medication is ordered by York hospital and then distributed to the other hospitals as required so the just divert as they travel to Scarborough where I am seen and drop them of at my GP.

I always have my blood test at least the day before and can have it done at my GP surgery if I want.  I appreciate that there are probably good reasons why they cannot hold the meds and hand them to you but if they know what meds you are going to be getting why can't they send the script to the pharmacy in advance?  I suppose answering my own question your meds might vary each time?

My task for today is present wrapping.  I come from a family where as relatives get older the wrapping goes down in neatness and quality until eventually it arrives in the carrier bag it was bought in with perhaps a bow or bit of ribbon on it.  I don't know how old I've got to be before I can get away with that.  I think I probably have a few years to go so it's a couple of hours at the dining table with wrapping papers, selotape, scissors and bows.

, I would love to see the video of noodle and the kittens at the Christmas tree but given your recent picture posting history I don't know if my sense of balance could cope with an upside down video!

Love and hugs,

Gragon xx