Another meet up in York on 16th November

• 58 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

It is some time since our last meet up so I have arranged another for York on Saturday 16th November at the same venue as we previously used.  The Saint Nicholas Christmas Fayre (click here) starts on the Thursday before so York will be in all it's Christmas finery if you wanted to stay a bit longer and make a break out of it.  The same link above takes you to the Visit York website if you want to see what else is on in the area.

As with previous meet ups if people can let me know if they are interested via this thread that would be great as I have made a reservation but the venue has asked me to call them shortly before the date to clarify how many people we are expecting to attend to make sure we have enough space.

If people want to spread the word onto the other groups that they are members of I would be grateful if they could ask if people could express their interest via this thread.  I will ask those attending to send me friend requests so I can send any info and contact numbers to them directly nearer the time.

Although previous meetings have been booked from 12 to 2pm they have continued long beyond this as people got talking to each other and enjoyed the company.  Friends and family have been made welcome previously but please make sure they are aware that the common factor in those attending is cancer and it is likely to be a significant topic of conversation.  Also previously one or two people were staying over on their own on the Friday night beforehand and we arranged for people to meet up (if they wanted to) so that they weren't wandering the city on their own.  It would be lovely to see lots of you there and to be able to put names to faces.

The venue is a public house called the Windmill on Blossom Street less than 1/4 of a mile from York Railway station.  On the map attached it is the junction towards the bottom left corner. The venue has a website ( Windmill Inn ) and serves food and real ales as well as all the usual beverages.  It has level access for anyone in a wheelchair although the main entrance is over a few cobbles.   It is on a junction opposite Micklegate Bar (pictured below) which is one of the entrances through the city walls.  It has a Premier Inn hotel on one side of it and a taxi firm (Fleetways) on the other.  It is about 100 yards from a York City Council run car park on Nunnery Lane, Council run car parks in York are free to disabled badge holders without time limit and not restricted to disabled parking bays.

To walk from the railway station leave via the main exit and the city walls are in front of you.  Stay on the same side of the road and walk over a bridge and up a slight hill and the venue is the white building on your right on the junction of Queen Street and Blossom Street.

I hope to see lots of you there. Gragon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Hi Gragon,

I was booked into day 2 of Makaton training, but have had an email today to say I can defer it until the spring Smile so I'll definitely be there, yay! 

Really looking forward to it. xx

• Just wondering if you'd seen this and if you were able to go or not? 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hi! I just bought my train ticket. So barring something going tits up, I’ll be there Blush

• Hi and ,

I've just sent you each a friend request so that I can send you my mobile number in case you have any difficulty getting to the venue.

I think I have already sent this to everyone else who has said they are coming.  If I have not done this for you, or if anyone else is planning to come if you can let me know so that I can give the venue an idea of numbers.  It is looking good so far and great to hear that despite all the difficulties so many people are able to attend.

For anyone that has not been before I have asked for the tables at the right hand side as you face the pub as it is a bit quieter there with no big TV screens to distract.  I usually put up a few Macmillan balloons to make it easy to find.  My profile picture is actually my picture so hopefully you will spot us all OK.

Really looking forward to getting together.

Gragon xx

• FormerMember

I would love to come Lass and meet you all but i don't know at the moment if i will be having daily radiotherapy. I had my PET scan and lung biopsy, just waiting for a follow up appointment to find out if they are going ahead with the radio or have something else in the pipeline. If i can come i will let you know. All the best. Lynn 2.xx

• Hi All,

Just a reminder that the York meet up is tomorrow from 12 noon.  If anyone else is interested in attending but has been uncertain about it you are welcome to just turn up on the day.

I'm really looking forward to it and know that others are as well.

love and hugs,

Gragon xx

• Heya, 

Looks like I'm not going to make it today. Mental health isn't doing great at the moment and even though I know folks are coming from much further than me, the thought of the journey is just too much for me today. 

If I could just push a button and transport myself there, I'd be there. But the taxi, train, then walk, then the same in reverse trying to juggle stick, umbrella, and handbag, has me rooted to the spot.

I hope everyone has a fab time, and I'll hopefully see you next time! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember

Dear lass, I’m sorry to read you are struggling with your mental health at the moment, you do so much to help people in the forum it’s perfectly ok for you to prioritise your own needs. We all get down at times but tomorrow is always another day and you’ll be back dispensing your whit and wisdom in no time. Have yourself a well earned duvet day .

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

thank you much for organising the meet-up in York. It was lovely to put names to faces and to be able to talk without censoring myself. 

• Hi ,

I'm so sorry that you were not able to make it today, it would have been lovely to see you again.  I'm afraid I didn't realise you weren't going to be able to get there until Maggie told me that you had posted.  I'm afraid I was travelling to the venue when you posted it and once I got there I could not get connected to the wifi so couldn't respond.

Hopefully when Tinalay and Flowerlady are back we can all get together again.

Take care and I hope that you are treating yourself tonight.

Love Gragon xx