brain mets.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Should have started preventative brain radiation yesterday but found out the C had spread to the brain so now its treatment startin Monday 8th April. I am scared can you please help reasure me please ? xx

• Hi Maz, I was so sorry to read this. I don't have experience of brain mets myself but know others who have had treatment and it all went well. If we are honest with ourselves, we're all scared of the very quickly and you only have a few days before your treatment starts. As regards reassurance, if you think about it, these treatments are so expensive and I don't think it would be offered if they didn't think there was a good chance of it working, do you?

I hope all goes well for you on Monday, please come back here when you can and let me know how it goes. I think you'll feel better about the whole situation once your first treatment is behind you.

I'm sure others will be along with replies soon, telling you some positive stories, I know there are quite a few!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi ,

So sorry to hear about your brain met.  I know exactly how utterly scary this is as I had one at the end of January.  Please read my profile where I have detailed my journey.

However, having gone through what I thought was the beginning of the end, over the last 3 weeks I’ve felt the best I have for a long time.  The treatments were so much easier than I ever dreamt they would be.

Good luck with your treatment and let us know how you get on. Take care.

Mrs G. xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

So sorry to hear this Maz, no wonder you’re scared. Things can change in a heartbeat and we’re always playing catch up.

I had gamma knife surgery on an inoperable brain tumour last March. Anything to do with the brain is scary, but it has been 100% successful in shrinking the tumour, with minimal side effects. All I needed was a short course of steroids afterwards.

Not being allowed to drive has had a big impact on my independence, but if the next scan is stable I’ll apply ho get my license back.

It’s a lot to get your head round in a short space of time. Good luck with your treatment, I hope you tolerate it well and get excellent results from it. Big hug xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Ho and thank you. Did my radiotherapy. I feel shocking  my balance is off I feel so I'll. I'm scared I'm dying .. how did you feel after radio? They said I would probably feel worse I sure do  :(

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Maz,

I am so sorry to hear you have a brain met.  I can identify with how scary it is because I have been having treatment for brain mets for 3 years now.  I was very lucky to have Cyberknife at Barts and as it is targeted radiotherapy only aimed at the tumour I recovered very quickly thankfully and was soon back at work. 

I'm guessing you've had whole brain radiotherapy and the couple of friends I know who've had it said it knocked them out for a while and they felt exhausted.  The steroids don't help either because they keep you awake at night and make you feel edgy.  You will start to feel better soon though after lots of rest and then you will start to feel a little bit better.

I've just updated my profile if you want to have a look.  

I hope you feel better soon.

Best wishes and a hug.