Advantages of being treated as a palliative patient.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 25 replies
  • 6 subscribers

As you all know my situation I won’t go over old ground again. I just wanted to tell you about a positive experience I had today. I recently had a ct scan the results of which means my haematologist wanted me to have a one of shot of radiotherapy on my neck, so off I toddle to the hospital this morning. The doctor couldn’t have been kinder and at one point when I cried he took my hand and reassured me that as a palliative patient his only goal was to make things as comfortable as possible for me and that he would do his best to make sure all appointments fitted in around my other commitments. I can’t tell you how much that meant to me as it’s not usually the case. He said that as a palliative patient he could be more flexible and bend the rules for me as much a possible, it’s the same with my kidney dialysis doctor who is also treating me as a palliative patient. I think once you come to terms with your prognosis and start to except the right kind of help it’s a huge relief and the atmosphere is much more relaxed. There’s so much help on offer all you have to do is embrace it when the time is right for your individual circumstances and make the most of what ever time you have left.

• Dear  

It's so good to hear this, and as it should be.

We had a similar conversation with my Oncologist last week when my husband expressed his fears about my next treatment plan, 12 rounds of chemo and then review. She explained that as it was palliative care it was all about quality of life. We can reduce the dose, take a break or stop at any time.

They'll also co-ordinate other appointments as much as possible. It really does help.

Yay us! xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • Hi 

A diamond of a doctor. You are probably going to get loads of people posting and saying they have one too. My consultant Haematologist is wonderful too, well was, as he has moved to another hospital now and his understudy, Barbara, is so fantastic also but I have a sinking feeling that she doesn't work on Fridays which is the day that blood cancers have changed to at the hospital I attend. Anyone else have a similar experience of a hospital changing a blood cancer day, or heard of it even?

Johnty, I am delighted for you that you  are being treated so compassionately and sensitively, You deserve it. The tenderness you are receiving justifiably mirrors the kindness and warmth that flows through your posts to your fellow members of the groups in which you post. I'm sending you lots of virtual hugs.

Have a lovely day

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Tinalay

Hi

The trial unit nurses are the same. They try to coordinate all my various appointments so I can get everything done in one day. It makes such a difference 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Dear, I am lucky with my haematology clinic as they are quite flexible and are open to patients 5 days a week. This means it can be quite busy but it’s a process worth paying for flexibility. Also if I need to see the consultant I just tell my nurse and he will pop in for a chat, I no longer have formal reviews, it’s all part of being a palliative patient.

Dear

its good to hear you are being cut some slack, I know being on these trials is a complicated business and involves extra expense for you, but I often think of you as being made of “girders” which I think is probably necessary to be part of a trial. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Ha ha, I think you’re right . I commented to my oncologist about how hard the immunotherapy trial was. She told me “there are only certain people we put in for that one”. The subtext was that actually, yes, you need to have girders of steel for some of these trials.

xx

• H

Thanks for that info, it's very interesting. I don't think we have that in Northern Ireland, a total population of 1.6 million, but I'm sure going to ask about it when I next see a consultant, on the 28th of February. 

I'll let you know how I get on. 

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • [deleted]
    Tomorrow is another day
  • Thank goodness for that, I'm really unsure if I want to continue in this community.

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • If anyone is wondering what that was about, it's to do with a post that was removed and my reply to it has been removed also. 

That's on top of another decision that I can't tell you because admin have made it clear that I can't talk about it either. Honestly, I think I'll just drift away.

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Dear

i think I might try giving my updates in the incurables section and leave the more delicate subjects to the end of life group. Please don’t be upset by having your post removed, you are a very important member of this community and to me personally and I value your upbeat attitude to life despite all the difficulties you face on a daily basis. So from now on just check to see if the post is in the incurables or end of life and there won’t be any problems. You are an amazing person and I am a better person for having known you as a online friend, so please don’t go anywhere and that’s an order ! !