Advantages of being treated as a palliative patient.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 25 replies
  • 6 subscribers

As you all know my situation I won’t go over old ground again. I just wanted to tell you about a positive experience I had today. I recently had a ct scan the results of which means my haematologist wanted me to have a one of shot of radiotherapy on my neck, so off I toddle to the hospital this morning. The doctor couldn’t have been kinder and at one point when I cried he took my hand and reassured me that as a palliative patient his only goal was to make things as comfortable as possible for me and that he would do his best to make sure all appointments fitted in around my other commitments. I can’t tell you how much that meant to me as it’s not usually the case. He said that as a palliative patient he could be more flexible and bend the rules for me as much a possible, it’s the same with my kidney dialysis doctor who is also treating me as a palliative patient. I think once you come to terms with your prognosis and start to except the right kind of help it’s a huge relief and the atmosphere is much more relaxed. There’s so much help on offer all you have to do is embrace it when the time is right for your individual circumstances and make the most of what ever time you have left.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Absolutely agree with !

I really hope you’ll stay around, . I certainly value you as a member of this community. The admins are charged with keeping this community a safe place and as we all know, safety can be a brake. 

Keep smiling 

xxx

• Please stay.

love and hugs xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • Hi tv man please don't leave the group you have helped me and other people out so many times you are thought of a lot by everyone xxx

Flippen
  • Been thinking about you

How’s things? xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • Hi there nice of you to think about me had a few wobbles but fighting on in my usual way I wonder why it is you do stupid things that when you are already in a low mood you put yourself through something that adds to you feeling even worse I watched a movie the other day called wit with Emma Thomson playing an incurable cancer patient and I can't get the film out of my head so brilliantly played by her and so realistic it was like watching me in the role I knew it would upset me but I still watched it my best friend told me off about watching it but I felt I had to got the dreaded scan letter the other day for the 5th March so as usual that sets me off then consultant 2 weeks after that so my best friend is working overtime on her comedy laughter moments to try and put me in a positive mood she is so amazing and supportive one in a million person couldn't ask for anyone better but I am determined to keep fighting on I hope you are ok as well you are such an important person on here giving support and advice to everyone xx

Flippen
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Popgate

Hi Flippen

Oh I know what you mean! Sometimes I’m my own worst enemy too. Although, now I come to think of it, I wonder if we watch these sad films (or read these books) because we are feeling sad and watching the film allows us to let it out? 

Glad to hear you’re still fighting on. I hope you’re scan is uneventful and that you get good results when you see the consultant 

lots of love 

xxx

• Hi there thanks for your support as always means a lot I have just had to laugh at myself when you say uneventful getting me through the consultants door is an event my best friend has to drag me by the hand to get in there she always says it's like taking our dogs to the vets they hate it ha ha ha xxx

Flippen
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

It is an odd thing TV man you know I ran into trouble recently and I still don't understand how, the thread seemed fine then whoops. 

Like you I wondered if it would be better just to stop communicating. But you lot came to my rescue and my God have I needed you as I have laid in this hospital bed. 

One thing for sure if you go we all loose out so please keep posting. I know it is very selfish of me but who else do we have if we don't have each other. 

I'd love to know what trouble you managed to cause though. It is upsetting I know but also shows theres life it the old dog.

I am sure you are focusing on your trip next week here's wishing you a safe journey and good time. 

• Hi 

I'm not going away anywhere, how can I leave you when you need support, as well as others. I AM embarrassed that some have almost pleaded with me to stay, that was, and is not my aim. I cringed. I'm so sorry. 

I'm concerned about you Maz , that your temperature will be a barrier to you going home which I know you desperately want. 

Also the exemplary treatment you were experiencing is starting to unravel. You were told you were boiling? You knew that, you wanted to know your temperature. 

I'm looking forward to going on Sunday, but storm Dennis may have a say in that. There are already many flights cancelled today, the numbers will increase and tomorrow will be no better. If we can manage to get away to Stansted from Belfast International at some time on Sunday evening, things will be ok. Although there is only one other train suitable to go to Peterborough from Stansted Airport and we may miss that, I have booked a room in the Premier Inn at Stansted Airport which I can cancel at up to 1pm on Sunday at no charge at all and by then I should know what's occurring  Slight smile

What happened and why? I'm not allowed to discuss any moderation decision on the site, nor anyone else for that matter! So I'll try to explain, hope I don't get myself into trouble. I'm not going to discuss the actual decision, I shall simply say what happened. What I would like to say to you Maz is I'm disappointed that I can't put my viewpoint. Decision gets made. Then implemented. Full stop.

Well, when I tell you, I'll tell it simply, bones only. Someone said something. I explained they shouldn't do that, read guidelines. Gave them example. However, initial post gets removed for the reason I explained and because mine "made no sense" mine was removed and of course I was informed. Would it not be better leaving both in, others could see and understand, take notice. Having that done touched a raw nerve. That's the simple version.

Maz, I hope you have some info about getting home. By the time I took to write this, you're maybe home, hope so, but I know if I go looking, I risk losing it when I return. To anyone who that has happened to, a little tip. Before leaving your half made post, click on the last words and Select All, then Copy. When you return and it's gone, simply paste it back in. 

To , , /Flippen and others, I can't leave you all with less support than you have, I'd also like to say that I benefit greatly from the emotional lift you give me, I can't lose my good friends' warmth and friendship. 

Love you all

Tvman xx

PS Maz, life in the "old dog"? Are you talking about Daloni again? Lol Joy  Btw, that's a joke, I know my friends will know that but some people around don't have a sense of humour!

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Dear @tvman,

it’s so good to hear from you my friend, I hope you can get to go on your trip, will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. This weather is so disruptive it’s hard to plan anything at the moment. So let’s celebrate making a fresh start in the forum for all of us now the ambiguity between the two groups is about to be clarified. There’s room for all opinions so that no one is left feeling judged.