I did it my way

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 46 replies
  • 7 subscribers

I did it my way.

Hello everyone, just wanted to update you on my latest news. It has been confirmed today that I have become refractory to all available active treatment and I will now only receive purely palliative care to control symptoms as I let nature takes it course. Fortunately preparations for this turn of events were made many months ago so my husband and I can spend our remaining weeks together relatively stress free. I want to take this opportunity to thank you all for the support you have given me and hope I have given it in return. My intention is to stay in touch for as long as I can as I am not currently in any distress. I have had a good life and a wonderful marriage so am not bitter about what has happened.

• Jane

I have been a lurker on here for some weeks and I am just at the beginning of my journey but I came here looking for hope and you have given me that hope, not hope for a cure but hope that I can learn to deal with my troubles with dignity, laughter and occasional tears as you have learnt to. You have inspired me and given me strength. Thank you, words seem so inadequate.

I wish you joy and love for the time you have left

Nicky

A life lived in fear, is a life half lived.
    Nicky
  • Hi

Wow, where did all those people come from? Count me in as a well wisher too Johnty, you haven't been here long, you hit the ground running, so now just you take it easy and don't give in. I have been in awe at some of your posts, such a carer. 

You and I both have a blood cancer, mine is Myelodysplasia, which covers a few different ones. Under that umbrella I have Refractory Anaemia. When I saw refractory in your post, I sat up. We don't have the same cancer, just the common word of refractory, are we blood brothers, blood sisters or maybe blood brother and sister. Hope you had a little chuckle there, I did Slight smile 

Take care Johnty

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

As ever, you are honest and compassionate in equal measures, even as you face the hardest news of all.  I hope it goes without saying that you’ve been an enormous support to me these last few months. We’ve talked about the difficult stuff and so often found common ground.

I am so glad you’re not in any distress either physical or mental (which is more than can be said of the puppy who’s crying as if she’s been abandoned at the bottom of a mineshaft rather than the kitchen where she sleeps every night).

It seems to me from what you’ve written that there’s life in the old girl yet. I hope the first of your last weeks bring sunshine and joy and the last of your last weeks bring peace and comfort.

I’ll be with you as long as you want me by your side. 

with much love to you and your husband 

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

I’m so sorry to hear your news too. I did wonder what had happened after we saw each other in York. Wasn’t that a fun afternoon? I’m just sorry I had to leave early. 

It must be such hard news to digest, let alone share. Aren’t we lucky to have Johnty to blaze the trail? 

Doubtless you’re doing something crazy right now. Is your sweetie shelf well stocked? I do hope so. 

You know where I am if you want to talk, albeit virtually 

Lots of love, you beautiful, wonderful woman. 

xxx

• FormerMember

To all my dear friends.

I cannot tell you how much reading your kind messages has moved me, you always hope you are helping people when you reply to posts and it seems that I did have some impact with my words and that gives me great solace. Although I face the final part of my journey my spirit is not broken and I intend to die with love in my heart and resist the temptation to let the dark clouds that have been following me around for the last 19 months to claim victory. I have had the enormous privilege of being able to say a long goodbye to my wonderful husband of 36 years, and I know that the actions I have taken will mean we can face the end together as a team, which is how we have lived our entire marriage. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Billythedog

Dearest johnty

i just wanted to wish you a peaceful ,pain free end to what has been ,from the sound of it ,a wonderful life with your husband.

you are showing the very best of human spirit by sharing your news with us on this forum

i hope the sun keeps shining for you , itis beautiful in essex today ,

kindest thoughts and virtual hugs ,I only wish we had met in person ,

janet

xxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember

Dearest skaila

i can only wish you a peaceful ,pain free end of life 

how hard for you to let us know ,Johnty has shown us the way 

I send you much love and virtual hugs 

I hope there is some sunshine for you in your last months

janet

xxxxxxxx

• FormerMember

I'm not supposed to post on here - I belong in the incurable group and often find myself reading here by accident. I hope you don't mind me speaking up. 

I was amazed when I first read your posts, Johnty. I thought I must have misunderstood your diagnosis, for how could you be so positive, and supportive of others when facing that. I have continued to be amazed and humbled by your attitude. 

And now you have stunned me again. I wish you all the joy you can contain in your last weeks, and a peaceful and pain free journey as long as possible. You have brought so much to this forum in such a short time, it has been a privilege to read you.

Skalia, I have read your posts too  in the other thread, though I don't know you.  I had no idea you were so ill. I hope you  too can have the final time you wish for. 

My thoughts are with you both.

• Oh Sue, what sad news. It was lovely to meet you in York and have a laugh with you and Maggie. x