Afterwards

• 13 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi everyone, I don't know where to start to look for help really. 

I discovered I had breast cancer a year ago. I had surgery to remove the cancer and some very severe chemotherapy and radiotherapy which finished in January this year. 

I tried to be positive and proactive throughout it all...I have great family and friends, work were brilliant, I had a lovely set of wigs, body lotions etc

My biggest aim ,apart from being well, was to get back to work.. I was deputy head at a big primary school and absolutely loved my job.

I was excited to go back on a phased return after Easter this year but totally unprepared for the exhaustion that came with it. I was very quickly bone tired and my brain couldn't function as quickly as it used to. I didn't feel I could do the job properly anymore and despite all the support and encouragement I had from work, I decided to retire. After 37 years of teaching, 20 of them at my current school, it was a huge decision but I felt, and still feel, it was the right one.

Am overwhelming sense of depression, feeling useless, being a failure has suddenly come over me and I can't shake it. I feel like I tried my best but cancer has taken away my job which was a huge part of my life. I'm really tired and haven't much energy to find another job at the moment but am frightened of being isolated and worthless now. I feel as if everyone is getting on with their life...which is as it should be...but I've become nothing. Friends have been so supportive while I've been I'll....I don't want to put this on them aswell. Not sure where to turn to.

Thank you for reading 

• Hi again  and well done navigating across to this little corner of the Community.

I often think that the post treatment journey to be the forgotten 1/3. As this 1/3 can for some folks prove to be as hard or even harder than the first 2/3 being diagnosis and treatment.

As you know I retired from teaching coming up to 11 years back (I retired at 55) having worked all through my various treatments for 12 years. I have an incurable blood cancer and eventually the stress of the changes in education and the ever increasing need for treatments I took early retirement.

Only for my condition to become aggressive requiring some long full on treatments…… now 6.5 years out from treatment I am getting in with living a life that was hard fought for.

The past 6+ years have not been straight forward with many many post treatment none cancer  ‘left overs’….. but things have settled down-ish now.

You said you were checking out for a Maggie's Centre near to you. These folks are amazing and great provide support especially some very effective one on one post treatment support…… that I have found invaluable.

When I say ‘local’ - I stay in Inverness in the Highlands and our Maggie’s is very local to us…. but I have sat with folks who will regularly do a 4-5 hr round trip drive just to take advantage of the support available.

You are definitely not worthless but I can understand you fear of being isolated…… but you are here so you have made a good start to reduce this isolation.

I have been on my journey for over 23 years now and support has been very important. As a family my wife and I have walked this together with my two daughter all the way. Our friends have been great and there are a few who have been extra supportive willing to work through the hard times post treatment.

Don't beat yourself up, you have endured things that the body is just not designed to go through, you are still standing and there is a way through this….. we are here to walk some of the journey with you ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Kobe

I can identify so well with how you are currently feeling. Cancer takes its toll both emotionally and physically and it does take a while to get back on top of things. After my first cancer operation in 2013 I felt exactly the same, just useless. I used to think  ‘what good am I to anyone?’. Everything I knew and did had been taken away from me. My husband had to take over my regular babysitting with my only grandchild as I was too fatigued to do it, I was not able to go back to work, I was just lost.

With time I did get over this feeling and as I was feeling better physically I started to feel better emotionally. That time around I was able to go back to work until I retired 6 years later but it was a learning curve for me.

Skip forward 8 years and 2 more large cancer operations in 2019 and 2022. I am now retired but did this before the next cancer op so was able to start adjusting to life without work. I had learned such a lot from my first experience in 2013 and decided that I would not go with the ‘useless’ feeling again. Since my last op in Feb this year as soon as I began to feel physically able I decided to take small steps every day to get out and about and work on the things I enjoyed doing. I started making small goals with my gardening which I love. I get too tired to be out there too long but I make a goal every day to complete a small task. One day it is planting a few flowers or veg, another day I might clip back a bush but only within my endurance level. I also decided to join an exercise group run by my local council. It is a group run for the over 65’s so is well within my ability which is a bit low at the moment. The members are so friendly and I enjoy getting out every week to do the exercise and meet up with them.

If you could make small goals every day and get out to do the things you enjoy things will start to improve for you emotionally. Look up what is available in your local council area and join in something that appeals to you. That way you will feel less isolated. Find out what the volunteering opportunities in your local community are that might appeal to you. That way you can contribute but only do as much as you feel you are able.

Retiring takes some adjustment and cancer on top of that makes it even more challenging but you will get there.

Sending you warm hugs

Lyn

Sophie66

• Thank you so much. Your positivity is fantastic...it's an amazing site and it's a relief to hear stories from people who are on the same journey. I agree, this is the forgotten 1/3. I was so eager to get through the treatment, I didn't even think of this time other than I thought I would be relieved

I have resisted joining anything like this so far. I was scared to be in contact with cancer patients as even the word was too hard for me to say. I certainly didn't think I could talk about things with people I didn't know but now the time is right somehow. I kept strong for the treatment but now is tough in a different way.

Your battle is Incredible. I am in awe of you and the battles you have and are facing. In all of that you have time and words to encourage me and no doubt other people along the way..

The Maggie's centre is in Leeds, about an hour's drive away. I am really looking forward to going. They have suggested the What Now course which I'm definitely going to do. 

Last day of school today officially even though I'm not there! Not the ending of have predicted...but memorable just the same and hopefully a change in direction rather than an end. 

Thank you for being there.

Alison

• Hi Lyn, thank you so much for the time you have given to writing to me. It was inspirational to hear how you have navigated through such massive upheaval and change in your life. Also good to know that what I'm feeling is normal! 

I love your idea of small steps and completing something every day. Small goals but achievable is definitely the way forward. I love my garden too and am thinking I'll start playing the piano again.

Volunteering is a great idea. There is a local group near me who I could approach. I'll make that a goal to get in touch with them.

I try to walk or do an exercise video every day. I have found PhalaB on YouTube and she is just about right for me. I am going to check for groups I could join too so that I can meet people.

I need to remind myself that I can only do so much and not to try too much too quickly!! 

Thank you so much Lyn. You sound amazing.

Hugs back to you 

Alison

• Good morning Alison, I remember my last day in teaching. I had been signed off for 3 months as my condition (Skin) had deteriorated so was having more intense skin treatments.

At the start of my 3 months off there was a push to reduce staff levels so early retirement offer were put out to all staff, that was the seed that flourished over my intense skin treatments and resulted in my decision to go.

There was not ‘get together’ or cake, just went to HR (I worked in a large FE College) and sat in a small room with members of HR and signed some paper work….. all rather surreal but it was definitely ‘time to move on’.

In this group I often talk about the ‘concept’ that when we first get our cancer diagnosis we all get an invisible ruck-sack put on our backs.

We then walk through our journey including our treatments, clinics, blood tests, scans, side effects……. and unknowingly, we continually throw stuff into the ruck-sack…… and the stuff builds up. It’s only when we finished our treatment (rang the bell?) and look to try and ‘live’ life we realise that it’s not that straight forward.

This is due to the weight of the ‘stuff’ we have collected in the ruck-sack pulling us down…. stuff like pent-up anxiety and stress, the ‘what if’s’, the difficulty in seeing a way forward with life, the silly things people said during and after treatment….. the list goes on.

There comes a time when we hit ‘the wall’ and this is the point when this ruck-sack needs to be taken off our backs and over time cleaned out. It’s not an instant fix but a process…. but the healing and re-building process can only start when we are willing to do it and to achieve this we often need help.

One thing I did have to deal with was survivors guilt as I lost some very good friends to different cancers over my years and "why did I survive and they did not".......... but I got some great help through our Maggie's Centre especially their Where Now? Course 

I do hope you will find doing the course will provide some good building blocks to start building this new and exciting part of your life.

You may also find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones…… do come back with your thoughts on the paper. Even 6 years out from my last treatment I often have a look through the paper as it is a good reminder that this is a journey ((hugs)£

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I was just thinking that you may find it helpful to consider putting your story into your profile.

In the early days post treatment it was helpful as it was a reminder as to the progress I had made and the battles I had won…… it is also a great support for other looking for threads of hope that can help them see a future post treatment.

If you do your profile first type it up (I use the ‘notes’ app in my iPhone) as you can add and change it then copy and paste into your profile.

There is a link at the very bottom of my posts that shows you how to add your profile ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Alison

I am so glad that my experience has been of some help to you and that you are formulating a plan. I know that over time you will find your new life interesting and exciting and full of possibilities. Just take it a day at a time and do what you are able to do, don’t push yourself too hard and be kind to yourself. Initially I tried to do too much too soon and got annoyed with myself when I could not finish a task. I am wiser now and do things in bite sizes and that works well for me.

Sending you positive thoughts.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Thank you again - I have updated my profile and photo. Am taking a day at a time and accepting all help that I can. I think I rejected help such as this community to begin with...it made it all real and actually happening to me. Now I think I am in a better position to reflect, accept and be proud of what I have achieved and been through.

Alison

• So what did you get from reading through the After Treatment Finishes - Then What? paper?

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike - it was as if someone had been in my head and put all my thoughts together coherently! I've read it a few times and noted down some of the key things that resonated with me. I thought I could use them when I need to explain to anyone how I am feeling.

I've also asked my husband to read it. I think it will help him too.

Alison