I don’t know if I’m physically or emotionally able to go back to work.

• 20 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I’ve just finished 4 weeks of radiotherapy after a hysterectomy. My balance wasn’t good prior to this but I managed with a stick, but after the hysterectomy I felt so weak and unsafe that I started using a Rollator to give me support and confidence. I feel weary after the treatment and I’m scared to go out without it, I have had to use the bannisters to pull myself upstairs for about a year, but I don’t have the energy just now, so I sleep downstairs. My last shift at work was on Christmas Day, I do a physically and mentally tiring job which I miss, my head is all over the place, I’m emotional and can’t focus. I can’t see myself getting back to where my mobility was or having the energy or stamina to do a full days work, does everyone have these feelings and doubts or do I need to get a grip? I’m only 56 and I feel like I’m on the scrap heap. I thought I’d have the surgery and any treatment and then I’d be back to normal, I have no confidence in myself, I’m nervous being out on my own, I’ve gone from a person who flew to Canada on her own to someone who finds going to the corner shop traumatic. Do I push myself or give myself time, I’m due to go back to work at the end of May and I’m scared.

• You poor love, you've been through such a lot and now the treatment is coming to an end.  You've  both physical and emotional reactions to the diagnosis and the treatment ending.  It's a massive thing  that you've gone through hon and you need time to adjust.  Going back to work is a huge step and it might well be you need more time off to recover.

We tend to underestimate just how much it can take out of us I think and it sounds like you do need more time to recover and look after yourself.  It's no good going back to work too soon as you'll just end up more weak and demoralised.  Take care xx

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the community. So sorry to read about how you are and the stress you are under.

These treatments do take a lot out of us physically and mentally I honestly think the most important thing to focus at the moment is your well-being and the whole area of work is obviously getting you down.

I don't know what type of work you do and where you work but your ongoing challenges need to be highlighted to your employer as soon as possible and a clear plan agreed as to how your anticipated return date can or can't be achieved.

You do have clear Employment Rights that protects you from being treated unfairly........ you may want to call the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

As for your emotional well-being you may find 'talking' to people face to face (Professionals and Patients ) to be very helpful but during these strange times it’s not that available but do check to see if any Local Macmillan Support in your area has opened up. Do also check out for a local Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and provide great one on one support.

As always this group is around to support you and just to listen when you want to shout ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you, having a bad day today,will respond more fully soon.

• HI Jenliveh - I hope that you are feeling a bit better. The bone tiredness is such a shock isn't it? I can't believe it when it happens. I'm so used to pushing through and keeping going! It makes me angry when I can't! I'm slowly getting used to the idea that I have to listen to my body. I did do a phased return to work - it was a real goal of mine to get back to work. I couldnt keep up anymore and hated being not on top of my game. I decided to leave and although it's very sad, a whole lot of stress has gone and I can feel the real possibility of new doors opening. I can make time for me a priority...which I'm not very good at yet...and move on at my own pace.

Love and hugs xx

• Hi I can hear me while reading this. I had a radical hysterectomy in aug 21 and im still not back to work. I’m a carer and miss my clients and helping others so much. My body is also giving up on me. I’ve now got bad back that spasms, joints that ache and body too. I can dress myself most days and even have problems showering myself. If want to be friends and chat I’d be happy to. I’m 49 and feel so alone as no one understands 

• Hi Peace73, I'll happily chat to you. I can understand exactly how you are feeling. I bet your clients really miss you - i hope you can take a little bit of comfort in that. Do you think you will make it back eventually? I am really angry with cancer for what its done to my body and my life - but talking helps I think. I havent mentally been able to use this site until now. I think  suddenly having no appointments etc with medical people to talk to and reassure you leaves you feeling very bereft!

Alison

• Hi, I feel your sadness at the way cancer has taken choices from you, it’s so unfair. I’m the same, but have good and bad days. Today was a particularly bad one. I have mobility issues and use a walker when outdoors, but in the house I use walls and furniture. This afternoon I fell in the kitchen, no one else was in, luckily I didn’t hit my head, but I hurt my neck,shoulder,ribs,hip,knee and ankle on my right side and I didn’t have the strength to get up. Luckily the door to the garden was open, so I lay there for half an hour until I heard my neighbours in the car park. They heard me shouting for help and one of them climbed up and unlocked the gate, then the 3 of them came in and got me up. I’ve never felt so vulnerable and embarrassed, but thank goodness for good neighbours with excellent hearing.This all happened about 4.30pm and it’s only now I feel less shaky. Tomorrow I’ll laugh and thank my lucky stars that nothing was broken. We could all write a book.

• Oh no 

glad you’re not injured. I fell over 3 months ago while being taken out for dinner. I tripped and went down hard on right knee, I got up fine and could walk so thought I had been lucky even when bruising was bad. Fast forward 5 weeks can’t kneel, took two weeks to get am X-ray to be told it’s arthritis (one that starts witho) so now have more mobility troubles. 
    im waiting on referrals for pains and now physio for knee. It’s like I’m 80 instead of 49 

I hope tomorrow you don’t wake up with an injury xx 

• If I didn’t laugh I’d be permanently in tearsSlight smile I’ve a feeling I’m going to be sore tomorrow. I feel your pain and frustration. I’m 56 going on 86.RoflJoy