Fatigue

• 4 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi All,

Ive been feeling very low for some time now.

I'm getting over colon cancer. I was advanced stage 3. Had my operation in November 2019, I had a colon resection, full hysterectomy and bladder work. My surgeons were apsolutly brilliant. I have a ileostomy that will be reversed at some time. But the great news is I was told that the operation was a success and no need for Chemo.

Why do I feel so sad all the time, I'm always tired and have no energy. I eat healthy, I have been going out for short walks twice a day and I struggle to lift my legs ( as if I was putting socks on) 

I know I had a big operation, 9 hrs surgery I was in hospital for three weeks. But I have no motivation, Im so tired and feel as though I have no energy, I'm starting to wonder if its come back.

I have gone into menopause and I'm taking HRT. But all the HRT has dome is stop the Hot flashes.

I'm due to speak to my surgeon tomorrow. 

• Hi Julie , welcome to this little corner of the Mac Community.

It sounds like you have had a rather rough 7 months and yes,  you would think you should have recovered more by now.

I think we often underestimate what our bodies and minds have been through and there is this little voices in our head keeps saying “come on you should be doing better”....... or it’s what you hear from friends and family.

It sounds like you are doing the correct things that are best for you. 7 months post a major procedure is actually not that long.

I had a very different blood cancer treatment journey and the only knife that got near me was to put in my central lines..... but post my treatments I was in a bad bad way, in a wheelchair for 3 months and had to re-educated my legs to walk. My brain kept saying “it cant do this” so it was a very big battle that in fact lasted for a few years....... but so am out the other end.

Feeling sad, tired, no energy....... Yes to all these - you have been through stuff that our bodies should not have to face and indeed rebels against. 

I am sure that some of the others can relate to the menopause and being on HRT as this has not been part of my journey.

Gaining trust in your body is very important as is winning the battle between your ears.

Why not make a cup of tea/coffee and have a good look at this great paper as it does detail the milestones of this post treatment recovery thing.

Do come back and tell us what you think and where you see you need support or actually understand that you are doing far better than you actually realise.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike - Thehighlander,

Thank you so much, the Paper in your reply is so informative. Helped me realise all the emotions and pressure I'm putting myself under is part of my journey and I'm expecting to much.

I have put myself under pressure, not realising my body has changed. I'm trying to act as though I'm ok and I'm not. 

Thank you again

Love and prayers to you
    Julie
  • Hi , you've just described what I went through, and it is only about 3 weeks ago that I realised I was as well as I had been for about 15 months. See my profile. Yes it will come back, just time, not saying I'm completely out of the woods, but nearly.

You've been hit by 2 trucks with 2 major ops in one sitting, so you do need to take it easy. Not easy to do as I know, as one always being told to walk before I can run, as will testify. But it should come good in the end. Message me if it helps.

• Hi again Julie , sun is out up in Inverness so catching up on the guarded (shielding it no shielding).

I am pleased you found the paper useful. I tend to now set a simple challenge for folks to become proactive after reading through the paper and using it as a vehicle for change and life improvement.

So get a note book or some sheets of paper and put pen to paper - it is a good way forward.

So a page per subject heading. Start detailing the things you have done already to move life on in each area and then start to set some achievable goals to work towards. 

When you achieve the first goal on each lists, tick it off and then put a new goal at the bottom of the list. By doing this you can actually see your progress and celebrate achievements. When I say celebrate I do mean giving yourself treats and gifts........ you have life - celebrate it.

The headings would be:

What steps am I taking to regain trusts in my body?

What steps am I taking to regain trust in myself?

What steps am I taking to overcome living with uncertainty?

What steps am I taking to deal with the world?

What steps am I taking to regain mastery and control of my life?

Another thought provoking tool you can look at is a simple Community Blog that was made using a reply in this group - follow this LINK and have a look and see what it says to you.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge