Should we Ostomates freely use Disabled toilets?

• 16 replies
  • 37 subscribers

While I do have a stoma (Ileostomy), I can usually use a normal WC in public toilets, a restaurant, or pub etc where necessary. Even one of those horrible Portaloos!

However, I much prefer the extra space and convenience of a disabled facility as it gives me much more room to attend to things and there's also far less chance of "making a mess" or accidentally soiling my clothes. Also, there's usually access to a wash hand basin etc.

Of course, the above is even more important if you require to change your bag for whatever reason... If away from home for a longer period or in the case of a leak.

So, as a matter of course, I will tend to utilise disabled toilets when available and I also have a radar key  where necessary.

However, I do sometimes find it embarrassing if someone else is waiting to use the loo afterwards. Especially if they appear to be much more "disabled" than me....... I look surprisingly fit and healthy on the outside! So, I usually offer an apologetic explanation that I have a health problem and require to use the toilet. I'm not always sure if I'm believed or not but I can't help feeling guilty.

The other week, I was in a cafe in Inverness where the staff had to "buzz" you through a door to get to all the toilets. There was one gents toilet and another cubicle which served for "Ladies and/or Disabled".  The latter was free and I was about to enter when a woman entered the toilet area with another woman who was carrying crutches. They immediately started "ranting and raving" at me and so I said she could go first if she wanted. However, that didn't placate them either as A) I had no business using a disabled toilet and b) there was already a toilet for Gents....... (It wasn't a disabled one though).

They continued to make a fuss and even complained about me to the staff. However, I was reassured by them that the toilet was for both Ladies and Disabled persons of either gender. I also explained that I had a health issue to them and they said  that was OK.

However, the entire incident left me feeling very uncomfortable for the rest of the day. I ended up leaving the cafe and using the facilities in a nearby shopping centre instead.

Anyway, I wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. I realise we aren't officially registed as disabled as far as "parking" and matters relating to vehicles are concerned but how do we actually stand otherwise?  We do qualify for keys, however, and I usually carry one of these cards which the stoma companies issue which state that we have "Use toilet facilities urgently" if necessary although they don't stipulate use of disabled facilities.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Johnny

The short answer to your question is 

YES you can use disabled toilets 

The Colostomy Association have been campaigning on this for several years now with great success and whilst you may not see the above image on public toilets you will come across toilets in supermarkets, sporting venues with the number of places growing daily with information on disabled toilets with wording to the effect

"THAT ALL DISABILITIES ARE NOT VISIBLE'

I do see the signage quite often with the exception of hospitals for some reason.

I always use them because they are larger, often cleaner and have places to put items out on 

I never feel embarrassed about using them and even carry a card with the information on, the only time I have received a comment was in a garden centre when a little girl asked her mother why I was using the baby changing room which was actually the disabled toilet doubling up as the baby changing room

Use your radar key and toilet card but do keep using the disabled toilets with having any conscious about it .

You know that Macmillans have a toilet card that you can get.

If you need anymore help please let me know, always here to help 

Ian

• Thanks for that, Bodach.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to JohnnyJ

No problem any time 

This might be of interest to you

ColostomyUK- Stoma friendly toilets

Click on green text to open new page.

Are you a fellow Scot or just visiting.

With regard to parking don't be surprised if the blue badge scheme is amended soon to include other groups of people including ourselves it's already been discussed in parliament and a committee formed.

Ian

, Mike can you look at the original post on this thread would it be possible for you to raise it at one of your committees that you're a member of. Not a good impression of Inverness to future visitors! Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Macmillan Toilet Card

Click on green text 

Unfortunately it is out of stock at present hopefully it will be back on soon as it's really useful.

Ian

• Ah sorry to hear this and I will keep this in mind Ian .

Inverness in general has a good 'open door' policy and on the whole does well at supporting people with cancer needs but you just can allow for 'people' :(  

I was in a wheel chair then crutches for three to four months following my treatment but actually did not apply for a Blue Badge. The availability of spaces at our hospital were often used up and the waiting time was far to long to get a spot so my wife just set me down at the drop off points and went and parked in the normal spaces........and the exercise was actually part of my recuperation.

Inverness is great but not perfect - yet Slight smile

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi The Highlander,

Inverness is OK. It was my home town and I was visiting over the period.

The staff in The Cafe were fine. It was customers who were making the fuss.

To be fair, it can be confusing when The Ladies and Disabled toilets "double up". There should preferably be a separate facility or a disabled toilet each for men and women.

Perhaps, I should have mentioned to the staff that it was the disabled toilet I wished to use before they let me through and they might have have advised the other customers before letting then through?  However, you also want to keep things private, if possible.

You'll know the cafe very well as it's an Inverness institution near the bus station. You get all manner of people coming in there. So, I wouldn't blame the staff at all. 

• Thanks.

Similar to the stoma bag cards but specifically mentions cancer treatment. So, looks very useful. I'll apply for one soon.

• I do indeed know the very famous "Inverness Institution" lol..... and yes people from all over the world will go through their doors.

The invisible disability is such a challange. I have lived with a rare and rather aggressive type of skin lymphoma with many open tumours so at times had to change dressings so did use disabled facilitys as I need access to a sink so have had a few stand off's.........I was once challanged about 'nothing wrong with you' so I lifted my shirt and showed my back covered in bloody dressings and walked away saying "yes, incurable cancer sucks - have a great day"

Being on the board of trustees for two Charity Coffee Shops in the Inverness area I get the challanges. Most of our toilets are set up for disabled, male, female and baby changing facilities. It's hard to cover all the bases so the signs on the doors basiclly says first come first served.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi everyone,

Of course we, as ostomates, can and should use disabled or accessible toilets if we need to. Until every toilet in the land is up to stoma-friendly standard, we have no alternative. The Colostomy Association is already campaigning to raise awareness that not all disabilities are visible. I think the biggest challenge is to educate those who see the disabled toilet as their own private toilet, and how dare anyone else use them! It is not against the law to use a disabled toilet, nor are there any penalties for using the toilet. And how degrading to have to explain to anyone why I need to use the disabled toilet.

Several months ago I went to hospital to visit my Dad – he was on a ward on the 4th floor of the hospital, and by the time I got to his bedside, my stoma had decided it was time for a full emptying. So, I started to make my way back to the disabled toilet which was on the ground floor. A long journey that seemed to have no end! By the time I’d got there, I had a major leak, but was so angry with the facilities in that disabled toilet – nowhere to hang my jacket up off the floor, no shelf to place all of my items, the toilet paper dispenser was so awkward, and no appropriate bin to put my waste into after I was finished. I contacted the hospital and they have agreed that their disabled toilet facilities fall short of that expected for an ostomate. Indeed they had never heard the term ostomate until then! They’ve made a change to the bin, and will be re-designing the toilets as funds become available, and I have been asked to help the team when the time comes.

So, use that disabled toilet if you need to, don’t feel guilty about it, and if you have the chance, raise awareness that not all disabilities are visible! Just one more thing… how about 2 disabled toilets as standard rather than one?

Linda :-)

• Thanks Linda and to all those who have replied so far.

Yes, it is a shame that even disabled toilets themselves seem to be either an afterthought or are designed/installed in a manner just to barely meet with the minimum legal requirements and no more.

Ideally, it should be a separate unit or, preferably, two separate units(One for both genders)...  Having one toilet doubling up as a Ladies' and a Disabled toilet for both sexes was inevitably going cause issues at some stage.