Daughters Lymphoma

• 5 replies
  • 23 subscribers

My eldest daughter has a Lymphoma diagnosis, its a rare form she is on steroids to help with symptoms, and next stage will be treatment.she's been to hell and back in the past 13 weeks,like many sufferers i know, but when its one of your own close family, i cant believe it really; as im sure most family members cant. The worst part as a parent is whatching your child in such distress and not being able to help, she is the most important one here of course, but i am consumed with anger and sadness all the time which im sure other people on here can identify with. You have to keep positive especially when their mindset is so amazingly positive and determined, how can you be anything but. The two people i need to talk to are my parents, but they passed in the same year so sadly, i am missing my mum so much right now, i want to tell her my girl has cancer mum and hear her voice for support.

• Hi  I am sorry to hear about your daughters Lymphoma diagnosis.

I am Mike and I help out around our Lymphoma groups.……..  I don’t normally post in this group but I know this journey very well and after seeing your post I wanted to reach out.

I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare (8 in a million) incurable but treatable type of Cutaneous T-Cell NHL (a type of slow growing Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) ……. eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 when a second, also rare (4 in a million) type of aggressive Peripheral T-Cell - Not Otherwise Specified NHL (a type of fast growing High-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) was then presenting so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I most definitely appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

We do have a few dedicated Lymphoma Support Groups but as there are over 60 types and sub-types of Lymphoma so we can’t have a group for every type but these are our main Lymphoma groups below.

Hodgkin's Lymphoma

General Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma

Follicular Lymphoma

Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma

Mantel Cell Lymphoma

T-cell lymphomas

CLL, SLL and HCL

These groups are safe places to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support from both people who have walked the journey but also family supporting them ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi thankyou so much for reaching out and replying. Im sorry you,ve been through this too but lived to share your story to support others, im sure others find very helpful like me. Thankyou for links to other groups too im sure we will find it a help.

• Hi again, the most important thing you need to takeaway from my reply and my journey is that I more than survived……

Lymphoma is a very unique type of cancer and is significantly different from solid tumour cancers.

Lymphoma is very treatable, yes some treatments can be hard work but I regularly talk with Lumphoma patients and indeed family who have navigated the Lymphoma journey.

When I was diagnosed back in 1999 our daughters were 14 and 18…… I continued to work for 12 years in a demanding teaching job and yes had various treatments over these first 14 years then in late 2013 my second more aggressive NHL came along taking me to stage 4……. but this was still all very treatable.

But we went on to see our daughters graduate, get married, set up very successful businesses and provide us with 4 beautiful granddaughters….. I turn 69 in Nov and am now 3 months away since my last treatment 9 years back and we continue to look forward to what else life has in store first us to enjoy.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• That is amazing and good to hear thankyou. Ive read alot about Lymphoma and i knew there were so many different types, but its good to hear someones personal experience. Im pleased for you and your family that it turned out so well and positive for you, my daughter has had an amazing positive strong mindset from the get go, and still has, she knows im on this group and im sure she will find your story very hopeful,so thankyou again for sharing and continue to stay well.

• Hi

I know what you are going through, this is the worst thing happens to any parent.My son had lymphoma and he lived only Months after his diagnosis .

God bless your daughter and speedy recovery for her.

Message me anytime as we understand the situation.

Sending you loads of love and strength