Advise on starting chemo docetaxel

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all,

Im about to start chemotherapy.  Any advice, do's and don'ts. What would people advise.

Ive started hormone therapy and will gp next week for flu jab and anti depressants. (Ive previously suffered and rather not wait until needed)

Have people managed any working or taken the whole period off

I'm having six sessions of docetaxel on a three weekly cycle for persistant psa after prostratectomy. A psma showed markers on my ribs :( 

Regards

John

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, i’m 2 years almost past chemo for ampullary cancer.  It was a low dose for 6 months.  I think everyone reacts differently but for me I was absolutely petrified but it wasn’t too bad.  It started to take its toll towards the end of the 6 months.  Tiredness for me was the worst, its a tired that you can’t explain.  I went off some food but if this happens it’s fine eat whatever you want to eat.  I didn’t lose my hair but it did get fragile.  I was off work throughout my treatment however everyone is different but don’t feel pressured into working.  All I can advise you to do is put yourself first and take care, if You need any more advice let me know good luck x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi John,  chemo, effects different people different ways.  It stays in your system for most people between 3 and 5 days, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. It lowers your bodies defences, so you are more susceptible to catching colds, temperature rises, it leaves you more open to infection.  Just remember to wash your hands, after the toilet, keep your personal hygiene high, but some hand bio gel, and use it.  You may go off your food, some people get a metallic taste, in their mouths, pineapple, is good to help your mouth recover, just one of two pieces aday, will help. If you have a partner, or girl friend, or mum, dad, brother who are close to you,get them to monitor your temperature,I am sure the hospital told you about this, and they have you an Emergency number.  They should have given you a thermometer, to take your temp.  If you are worried about anything talk to them about it, don't bottle things up.  I am sure other users will give you some more advice.  Take care and good luck.

M.