Started chemo

• 8 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hey there. Started my chemo on Thursday which was infusion wasn’t as bad I had imagined. Now have to have 8 tablets per day for two weeks then 1 week off. Then start cycle again. My main side effectSmileyare tingling hands and throat sensitive to cold. Does anyone know if this improves over time. Would love to hear anyone else’s experiences. Smiley

• Hi

I'm glad to hear that your first infusion of chemotherapy wasn't as bad as you were expecting.

I don't have any experience with chemotherapy to share with you but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Unfortunately, this isn't a very active group so you might be best posting in the bowel cancer group, which I can see you're a member of, as well. If you'd like to do that clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

It would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I hope your side effects disappear soon

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I don't have first hand experience but my husband started chemo on 2nd March. He had infusion & also tablets for 14 days. He had tingling for about a week, he said that it got better each day but took about a week to disappear. His cold sensitivity got better too. After about 5/6 days he was able to have cold milk in his cereal, He is now 12 days after his infusion & he ate his first ice cream. 

I think it is different for everyone but that is our experience. 

Can I ask what Chemo drugs you are on? My husband is on Capox which I think is used for bowel cancer treatment, my husband has secondary cancer in his peritoneal but they do not know where it originated. I haven't come across too many people who are on infusion & tablets. 

Take care & I hope your side effects ease soon

• Hi there. I started on the 4th so due to finish tablets Thursday morning. Tingling not too bad only if I touch something that has come out of fridge. Not sure I can face milk or ice cream. Has he had loss of appetite as I’m struggling with eating. I’m on oxaliplatin & capeecitabine. Looking forward to having a week off. How many cycles does he have mine is 4 In total. Take care and thanks for reply xx

• Yes he has had loss of appetite & also changes in his sense of smell & taste. He cooked a roast chicken the other night & said it smelt like urine & tasted like cardboard but he ate it because he knows he needs to. He has lost more weight since starting chemo & I'm worried that he can't keep losing weight every cycle. He doesn't have much more weight to lose until he is clinically under weight. 

He forces himself to eat as he is trying to limit the weight loss although he gets pain/discomfort from eating. He's been told to follow a low fibre diet which is the opposite of the diet we usually eat. The oncologist called him today & said he seems to be suffering from uncommon side effects which is partly due to the medication but also his type of cancer! 

Yes those are the same drugs my husband is on. He is due to have 6 cycles but he is getting an X-ray, in depth scan & an appointment with oncologist around cycle 3 as his cancer is of unknown primary so the drugs are a bit of trial & error. 

Tomorrow is his last day of tablets so I'm hoping the rest of the week will be a bit easier for him. 

• Hi there. Sorry for delay didn’t see notification. Well I finished my 1st cycle of tablets yesterday. I have been sick every day since Saturday. Still not right this morning. Spoke with my oncologist yesterday and said I need different anti sickness tablets before next cycle. I have lost 10lbs in two weeks. (Which I can afford to lose lol) I’m really struggling with food as just worried about being sick. Managed 1 slice of toast with peanut butter this morning so will see how the day goes. Are you on the Facebook page for bowel  cancer support it has been really helpful for me?  How is your husband feeling now? Xx

• Sorry to hear about your sickness. Fingers crossed you can get a bit of normality back for a few days. 

My husband has also lost weight not exactly sure how much but probably about 7/8lbs. He’s like you & can’t really afford to lose that. He is only about 12lbs off being clinically under weight and he’s got another 5 rounds to go. 

He’a not been sick & he has had a much better week this week than last however he’s not regained his appetite like I’d hoped. He has been eating a bit more this week & even bought himself some steak pies at the butchers when he was out for the first time time in 9 days. 

He spoke with his oncologist on Monday & she said that his side effects are a combination of the medication & his type of cancer. Not sure if that really name me feel any better. On 1 hand it’s a comfort knowing that it was expected however its still hard to watch him. 

No not on Facebook bowel cancer page but I’ll have a look. Have you got fortisip drinks? My husband got them from GP to help him with his weight but sometimes he can’t even face drinking them. He does really force himself to eat as he knows they’ll end up admitting him to hospital which isn’t what he wants. He is back for his drip on Tuesday. 

Keep fighting. I’ll be thinking about you. x 

• How are you doing? 

My husband has been suffering over the weekend. He gave in & took morphine at the weekend which allowed him enough relief to sleep. The nurses got him in to the hospital today for an X-Ray as they were worried about the pain he was in. It turns out the chemo tablets were keeping his bowels regular & the pain has been coming from constipation (despite him having diarrhoea). He is on a different laxative & has had a few of his other medicines changed. He is still able to get his infusion tomorrow & hopefully with this new medication he won't suffer as much during this round.    

• Hi there. Not been good really since I finished tablets on Thursday. Basically sickness diarrhoea and lack of appetite. Ended up getting in a&e on Saturday was put on drip as was dehydrated. I’ve not managed to get out either for about 11 days. Have got to go for covid and bloods in the morning for my second infusion on Thursday. Can’t say I’m looking forward  to it. Sorry to hear your hubbie has been poorly. Hope things go ok tomorrow. Stay strong as I know it must be awful for you. My other doesn’t deal very well with my sickness and diarrhoea. 

Take care xxx. Cath xx.