Loss of taste

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi, My husband has recently completed 32 sessions of Radiotherapy following surgery for right parotid cancer and lymph nodes.  His taste is not improving at all and I’m finding it really difficult to find anything he wants to eat.  He’s tried the dark chocolate and coffee, to no avail.  I just wondered if anyone had any helpful suggestions that worked for them.  Thanks

• Hi  

My name is Steph and I’m part of the Online Community Team here at Macmillan. May I wish you another warm welcome to the Community although I am sorry that circumstances have brought you here. I hope you don’t mind me responding to your post here today. 

In addition to offering you some support, my reply will also bump your post so that more members will see it.

I am sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis and that he's struggling with food following treatment. If members in the carers only forum don't have any suggestions for you, I would recommend joining the head and neck cancer forum and asking your question there. There are lots of members in the forum who have experience of adapting diets. 

I'd also encourage you to contact our Support Line for further support with this, or even if you just want to chat. Our Support Line teams are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat.

We recently published a blog on the Community called 'What can I eat? Food and diet when you have cancer'. The blog features conversations from around the Community and links to further information from Macmillan, which you might find helpful. 

You might also find this page on the Macmillan website to be helpful. The team overseeing your husband's care may include a dietician, or you might be able to request a referral to a dietician. In addition to speaking to our Support Line, further support and information is available through The Swallows. The Swallows is a national head and neck cancer support charity. It offers support to people affected by head and neck cancer, their carers, friends and relatives. Support is also available from Salivary Gland Cancer UK

I hope this is helpful, but please do let us know if you would like any further help. 

Steph
    Online Community Officer