Advice for work

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi Everyone

I have been on the forum a few times but things have changed for the worse very quickly.

Husband has secondary cancer, heart problems and now has been diagnosed with the start of vascular dementia.

His defibrillator has been switched off although his pacemaker is working and we had accepted that but the dementia has been a massive shock.

He is at present staying in a local hospice but we have been told that he has to go and live in a care home as he could be a danger to himself and others, namely me. Going into a care home is a shock to us but as I have worked in care for many years I know that most care homes are fantastic 

I was on sick leave but gave my notice in last month to become his carer which now is no longer possible due to mood swings and him falling on a regular basis. Now he is going into care I will no longer be able to claim carers allowance but at the age of 63 I don't really want to go back to work, I also know that he will cause chaos in whatever home he goes into, he is still very strong willed and would expect me to be at the home all the time.

What advice have you got for me?

• I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about your situation. It's so hard being a carer and things can change very quickly. I don't really know what is the best thing for you to do regarding work/benefits.  Its going to be hard to work and be there for your husband. It may be worth phoning the MacMillan service,  they have citizen advice workers, they may be able to offer some advice. Sending you love and strength