End of life care

• 5 replies
  • 46 subscribers

My mum died on Monday 

She died at my house with an end of life care package organised by the hospital 

She came out of hospital wednesday amd the agreement was a care company 4x a day , the district nurses and hospice nurse involvement 

The care agency were great and made her comfortable

I never saw the district nurses until I phoned them on the Friday afternoon to ask if they were coming and I was told they would cone at sonepoint over tye weekend but they were busy dealing woth people in pain 

Mum became stressed on the Saturday night so I phoned again amd a nurse came out put a port in her leg and gave her half a dose of sedative amd left straight away (why couldn't they sit woth her for 39 mins to check it worked and to support me ) . It never worked and she had one more does . 

The nurse phoned at 6pm amd said she thought I was going to be ringing most of the night so they would cone and set an infusion up which they did 

Nothing worked and she was very agitated amd shouting "let me go " for hours 

She died early Sunday 5am amd I feel completely traumatised by the whole thing and lack of compasion 

I failed her she died at home shouting amd no one cared except me . We never heard from the hospice nurses 

I am a midwife but did my nursing before and can honestly say I would never have left a house qithput sitting and chatting to someone after I'd been to see them especially if I'd given meds 

Sorry this is long I'm just completely traumatised by an event I thought would be very peadfull and care the hospital promised me to get her home and free up a bed and never happened