Practical advice on caring for Dad with terminal diagnosis

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hello everyone, my Dad has recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer, they are giving him palliative chemo but it’s not looking too hopeful as there is a lot of spread. My Mam died of the same cancer 3 years ago but she was in hospital and went really quickly so whilst that was awful I didn’t have time to prepare. Ive been trying to understand what practical steps I need to take to prepare for Dad becoming more poorly but feeling completely overwhelmed by all the information I’m reading. So far I’ve contacted an occupational therapist to come and assess Dad and also contacted the goodwill service through Macmillan as Dad wants a Will but they have said with his diagnosis their service might take too long. I already had applications in for power of attorney before his diagnosis although I haven’t yet received any confirmation. Is there anything else I should be doing or thinking about? Any advice would be welcome I’m feeling so very overwhelmed I’m usually so practical but I can’t seem to think straight. Thank you for reading this long post.

• hi  

Sorry to hear about your dad, I can see how difficult you are finding things.  I know with my wife and I our fairly simple will was drawn up very quickly - if his will is more complex that might be trickier. Having a will though is really helpful so I hope he managed to get that sorted.

Some people include things about the funeral in the will but it can be ok just to discuss what he would like. There is a set up pages here that might be useful to you.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge