Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

My Wife has this past week been diagnosed with Nasopharyngeal Cancer & as this is the first time I've ever had anyone this close to me have anything like this I'm a total emotional wreck & at a complete loss at how to deal with it all, she is of course terrified of what lies ahead treatment wise & although I'm doing my level best to try to reassure her, fear of the unknown takes over & I pretty quickly struggle in my efforts to keep her mind positive.

Any help or advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi @vallaboy68 and welcome to our community though so sorry to hear about your wife.

If we look at Your feelings when someone has cancer it is not difficult to see how "normal" you are. The "good" news is that the cancer has been found and things do get much easier when we get a treatment plan but it can seem like that takes forever - waiting is really hard and the positive about coming here is we all share that.

I did a living with less stress course that really helped me. I was really good a thinking how I would cope without my wife - well she is still here. Conscious breathing exercises were great for dealing with the unexpected but also good just for general relaxation and a great tip from my GP - go for a walk.

People sometimes ask us how we cope - my stock answer is "when were we given a choice".

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge