Considering leaving work

• 13 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi all, I essentially need to rant or advice as I'm kinda lost and becoming extremely overwhelmed and stressed. I'm an only child caring for my mother who has stage 4 suspected womb cancer, after her first chemo session she became violently ill and developed too much protein in her kidneys due to vomiting over 40 times in 2 weeks. She is making a good recovery but her chemo has been delayed and the cancer seems to be growing in the liver. 

As I'm her only child and only family member. Understandable I've had to take time of at short notice and have missed certain deadlines and I've tried to work weekends to catch up but ultimately I need a break. 

On Friday I noticed an important email which needed to be discussed so I forwarded it to my manager to discuss on Monday but I didn't realise I'd missed the deadline due to being in and out of hospital all week. He then responded with "please tell me why the deadline was missed as it was yesterday and have answers ready by Monday morning!!". It was Friday at 5:30! I responded accordingly saying you know why I've been off and jts evident I'm stressed trying to hold it all together so I clearly need to see my doctor about taking some time off. This isn't the first time he's spoken to me out of turn and I have been afforded the opportunity to work remotely but I'm clearly struggling with no work being taken from me. 

I feel this was the straw which broke the camels back, after working during the pandemic (I work in public health), several failed IVF treatments and now my mums cancer diagnosis I've attempted to hold it all together and only once has he asked how I am and to then speak to me like he has no clue what's been happening and like a piece of shit I feel I'm done. I just feel soooooo pissed off, worked about and beyond, held my team and service together throught all this shit and this is how I'm spoken to. Nope, life is too shirt for this shit! 

• No I never thought of them, thanks for the info. I am a union member but our current rep isn't very good. 

• That's my issue with HR, they're notoriously on the side of the employer and never care about the employee. So sorry they gave you a hard time, I honestly don't know how someone could know what yiur going through and not try to support you. 

• I may be able to but it was in a chat function where messages can be deleted. I may try and access the message later. One of my colleagues read the message as he was also in the group chat but I don't want to involve him but he wholeheartedly agrees the message was rude and unjustified.